Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2nd Gen Skid-plates

25K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  adventurer 
#1 ·
Just recently purchased a 2010 S. One thing I wish it had was skid-plates. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Pro4x4 with factory skids, but I am not impressed.
I am not planning on any other mods right now. I am also only looking at moderate off-roading (for now); something a little more than your average SUV can handle. I would like skids that are heavier than the stock skids, but I don't need something built for rock crawling/sliding. Does such a thing exist?
I have seen Shrock recommended in a few other threads for 1st Gen. Does that hold true for 2nd Gen?

#27 ·
Aluminum (Asfir) skids?

For those of you looking for a lighter weight option, but something better th
PHP:
an factory, check out ASFIR4x4 - they make aluminum skids for the 2nd gen, the FJ, and several more makes. I have seen them in person, and they look like they would hold up to some light wheeling. That being said, they are not useful for boulder hopping.
Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 2012 Pro-4X, after 10 years with a Grand Cherokee. As I get closer to retirement, I plan to do more off-roading, but plan mild to moderate type, sticking mostly to dirt roads and trails, NF access roads, etc. I occasionally run into ruts, wash-outs, small rocks and trees. From what I've read, the factory skids offer fairly minimal protection. I do not plan any rock crawling, so I think the steel skids are really overkill for me (I'm not keen on the added weight either). My question is whether the factory skids are sufficient for my needs or should I consider something like the Asfir aluminum skids? I certainly like the concept of less weight (I really like the way the Pro-4X drives/handles). Any Asfir (or other) lightweight skids users have any experiences to share? Are you able to perform routine maintenance (fluid changes) without removing the plates? Any unintended consequences? What does a full set of aluminum skids weigh? TIA for your comments and suggestions. I have to say I love the Pro-4X (Super Black, BTW).

#28 ·
hey woodsman 55, first of all welcome to CX, second of all, lots of people that have installed the heftyfabworks or shrockworks skids will say that the added weight helps with the center of gravity of your rig ( I cant speak of experience cause I am still running stock skids for now) as for if the stock skids being enough for what you want to do. Some people have doubled up the stock skid plates but they till aren't as strong as a good set of aftermarket skids

#31 ·
Skid plates by You.

For skid plate steel avoid mild steel if you can. Source out steel that is referred to as T1 (treated 1). It is twice as strong as mild steel. 1/4 inch T1 will be much stronger than 3/8th inch mild steel and lighter, of course. Used mostly for manufacturing heavy equipment, such as backhoe buckets, so find a fabricator that builds that kind of equipment and they can supply or source it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.