Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Water outlet housing replacement

14K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Wrenchtwistah 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am a long time reader, 1st time poster.

I have a 2001 XTerra 3.3L VG33E, 4X4. When trying to change the coolant temperature sensor the wrench slipped and cracked the aluminum water outlet housing. I managed to order the housing and gasket from Nissan. I then removed the coolant, upper radiator hose and clamp, and coolant sensor. How do I access the 2 bolts holding the outlet to the intake manifold? Does the upper timing belt cover or bracket for air conditioner belt need to come off? If I take the cover off but don't touch the timing belt will it damage my engine? There is also another sensor/electrical part on the housing but I can't seem to remove it.

I am not very handy as can be seen from the trouble I already caused. How difficult would it be to change the housing? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

Jamie

#2 ·
We're talking about the item labeled water outlet in the below pic yes?

It appears that yes you will have to remove the upper portion, it is in two pieces upper and lower, of the timing belt cover and the air inlet tube. Shouldn't cause any damage to the timing belt as you really can't effect/change the timing with only the top cover off. Just us extreme caution not to drop anything in to the open space around the belt.

If any coolant finds it's way into the space around the belt or onto the belt just simply flush the area with water before you replace the cover. Shouldn't be to bad of a job just ensure you have drained the coolant.

#3 ·
There is also another sensor/electrical part on the housing but I can't seem to remove it.

Jamie
There are two sensors in that water outlet. One is the sender for the temp gauge indicated by the blue arrow. The other is the temp sender for the ECU indicated by the red arrow.

It may be easier to remove the ECU sender with the water outlet removed and the outlet clamped in a vice.

#4 ·
Thank you RacerXXL.

The water outlet in the diagram is the correct part. Do you think the temperature sender for the ECU (the part with the blue arrow in your picture)comes apart from the black piece between it and the wire? If I can discoonect it from the wire I can go the vice route or buy a new one if need be.

#7 ·
Just an update to my previous posts and a question.

I managed to get the 3 bolts holding the water outlet off (2 to manifold, 1 to timing belt cover), removed the air tube, wire bracket on top of outlet, and cut the lower hose (couldn't remove it). The outlet is free but there isn't enough room to remove it and install the new one.

There is a silver coloured aluminum line (refrigerant?) behind the outlet that is blocking it. Otherwise I think the timing belt, pulleys and front and back covers will have to come off. Alternatively the engine head. Any ideas? Anyone successfully completed this job? Any way to remove this line without a big hassle?

#8 ·
I recently replaced the hose that runs from water pump/therostat houseing to that water outlet pipe. Im not gonna elaberate but its not fun. I beleive procedure would have you pull upper intake plentum then pull the fuel inj rail, or pull both cam gears and backin plate then retime once job is done idk exactly which is proper. I pulled the upper timing cover and cut the backing plate to remove the outlet pipe. Wasnt proper but it worked. It is a real screwy cooling system fuel rail in the way and timing cover backingplate cover otherside this job isnt for the faint of heart. It doesnt look horrible but was more than i anticipated haha just to warn anyone who thinks they'll be saving a buck its not worth the headache unless your a workin tech have somone else deal with it because i will tell the story of that job to mechanics around a campfire to scare them its a nightmare job boys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.