Nissan XTerra Forum banner

02 Xterra Thermo Control Amplifier???

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  k1w1t1m 
#1 ·
So Ive been having some of the exact same issues as others on a forum Ive been reading. A/C blowing hot, a "hissing" sound when you first start or stop the unit. However, Ive taken my car to a mechanic who said it was a leak in my high pressure hose. He apparently put in freon and dye. The freon only lasted a couple of days. Could this still be the "thermo control amp" and NOT a leak????

#2 ·
If the freon is already gone then you have a leak somewhere. Did the dye spray out from any location on the system? The mechanic should have showed it to you if it was. It would kind of a shady practice if he didn't in my opinion.

I believe Tina just did a how-to on changing out the thermo unit. Sorry I can't be any more help.

#3 ·
I actually had the same problem last year.. The high pressure hose is right in the front of the engine, on the right when you open the hood. My mechanic gave me a pair of goggles and a UV light. He showed me exactly where the leak was coming from. This repair cost me 220 with the part and the freon to put back in it. This would not be the thermo control amp.
The amp tells the compressor when it needs to turn on, it has nothing to do with the freon level. The high pressure hose seems to be a problem on the X-terra from what I have read in other forums. Get that fixed. The thermo control amp will give you ice cold air and the blow warm air intermittently when it is bad.
I hope this helps.

#4 ·
I actually had the same problem last year.. The high pressure hose is right in the front of the engine, on the right when you open the hood. My mechanic gave me a pair of goggles and a UV light. He showed me exactly where the leak was coming from. This repair cost me 220 with the part and the freon to put back in it. This would not be the thermo control amp.
The amp tells the compressor when it needs to turn on, it has nothing to do with the freon level. The high pressure hose seems to be a problem on the X-terra from what I have read in other forums. Get that fixed. The thermo control amp will give you ice cold air and the blow warm air intermittently when it is bad.
I hope this helps.
There you have it, better than I could have answered it. A/C hoses leaking in Xterras seems to be pretty common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.