Nissan XTerra Forum banner

gear basket

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  porsche4786 
#1 ·
I have an '04 and am thinking of getting the Yakima MegaWarrior gear basket (http://www.orsracksdirect.com/nissan-xterra-yakima-megawarrior-roof-basket.html) or something similar. I need to put typical field gear up there, as well as a spare tire for trips I make to Mexico (work related, lots of opportunity for flats in the middle of nowhere). Does anyone here have experience with this basket or have any suggestions for better alternatives?

Thanks

#2 ·
I bought a RAGE safari basket on ebay a few months ago. I believe I paid under $100.00 for it. I don't know if they make bigger or smaller baskets.

I've seen some owners build their own baskets that run the full length of the vehicle. They do all the tube bending, welding, etc. I think KUMO did his own basket. I'm not 100%. I think others that build them were taking orders to custom build them as well.

You might get a response for that here as well or start a Post that asks about custom baskets that forum members made themselves.

#7 ·
Load warrior here. It works well. I've kept my spare 33 on it for a year with no trouble, loaded it up with firewood (sig pic), and had camping gear for 4 up there that wouldn't fit in the trunk area. It fits well, and so far has caused no issues.

#8 ·
Hmmm.... I now trying to decide if the Load Warrior is large enough or if I should go ahead and get the Mega. I definitely need room for a spare tire and camping gear, plus will probably put up field equipment at some point (seines, nets, etc.- I work with fish).

Thanks,
Evan

#9 ·
I have the load warrior, I had to take it off since I put the X in the garage now though. But I'm sure I'll use it for camping next year. The only thing I didn't care for is the mounting hardware. The bolts they give you are kinda weak. And somebody could easily unscrew it and take if off your truck unless you use the locking bracket. I would recommend buying bigger bolts and using nuts if you plan to leave it on for a while. Or maybe use that special nuts you can order with the KC lights.

#11 ·
I measured it out and am going with the Load Warrior for the same reason you did. I think it will be big enough for what I need and it will look great since it will match the rail width. I think the Mega Warrior would be more than I need and would look odd, to boot!

Thanks,
Evan

I have the loadwarrior, I like how it matches the roof rails in width.
I use it for excess snowboard stuff, camping, spare tire.. I love it

#15 ·
I had a load warrier and it worked ok. What I didn't like is that it sits so high on top of the roof rails. There are a couple of inches from the base to the roof that you can't use. Also the locking brackets are crap. Someone just cut them off with probably bolt cutters and the rack, high lift mount and shovel mount were gone in minutes.. Considering the cost of all these items I took the insurance money and got a Baja rack. It's custom made for the Xterra
and similar to the Gobi at several hundred dollers less.

#16 ·
I had a load warrier and it worked ok. What I didn't like is that it sits so high on top of the roof rails. There are a couple of inches from the base to the roof that you can't use. Also the locking brackets are crap. Someone just cut them off with probably bolt cutters and the rack, high lift mount and shovel mount were gone in minutes.. Considering the cost of all these items I took the insurance money and got a Baja rack. It's custom made for the Xterra
and similar to the Gobi at several hundred dollers less.

I would have recommended throwing out the bolts that come with the rack, and upgrading the hardware to something much tougher and bigger. I've only used mine for camping, so I wasn't worried about it getting stolen. But if I ever use it on a road trip I'll get some larger bolts that are grade 8. And of course, a cable lock as well.

But yes, the baja rack is better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.