Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Additional gear storage

11K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  jlandry287 
#1 ·

Made a LOBO rack. It is a rubbermaid closet shelf 18" x 60" I spraypainted it black. bought little end caps, and hung it from carabiners. Drake, sorry it took so long to get these pics bro!!!!

I have mounted in there:

granola bars,
trail mix
beef jerky
2 lamps
4 9V batteries
2 blankets
1 sleeping bag
1 first aid kit
10' x 10' tarp
1 hobo tool
2 propane canisters
1 dual burner propane stove
a mess kit,
a camp axe

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow that is a nice setup!!! I really like that!!!

you should post up a pic looking into the rear view mirror to show how much vision you have back there..

#3 ·
Yeah, it's kinda woody's camera that I am using. My camera got into a fight with my bumper.....the Shrock won....

#5 ·
Yeah amongst other things. That stereo has about 5 pounds worth of wire. Just ask Woody

#7 ·
Yeah people can see but most people cannot even identify it because nobody expects them to be hanging upside down

#8 ·
It's cool bro... I'd rather you get Shelby back up and running then worrying about pics. But glad you did because I almost bought a Raingler net. Now I know what I'm getting. hahaha

Looks friggin' sweet!

#9 ·
wait why is the car empty inside? looks like it was in an accident

#11 ·
James has been working on this thing all winter. He will be done soon. If I could keep the batteries charged in the camera, I am sure he would fill the memory stick on it........

#12 ·
Is there anything you would do differently for this mod now that you've been living with it for half a year?

I like the idea that for daily drives I can leave the rack out but if I know I'm going out for the weekend or just need some shelf space I could chuck it back in and load it up.

#13 ·
Thank you for searching!:)

Well, yes, there is something I would do different, and I have.

1-the rear view mirror was not very effective after this mod. What I did is I removed it, and reinstalled it lower and it works perfect.

2-Even though I had it really tightly packed, vibration found a way to make everything loose again and whenever I stopped, things came flying forward. What I did is I bought ANOTHER one, and I cut it so it blends with the curvature of the roof. I use a bungee to hold this in place. It is a 48" bungee. It holds but not very tightly. I also have a 36" bungee that I had on ther in the first place. It was too tight, and a royal PITA to remove. You had to remove it though to open the little door I made. The 48" is tight enough to hold the cargo in place, but it is loose enough to be able to access the cargo easily without removing the bungee end.

#14 ·
Is there anything you would do differently for this mod now that you've been living with it for half a year?

I like the idea that for daily drives I can leave the rack out but if I know I'm going out for the weekend or just need some shelf space I could chuck it back in and load it up.
here's a thread i put up a while back about the lobo rack. you can see my first attempt, then how i changed it about 3 days later because i couldn't stand the rattling of it. i also added some rubber washers to the brackets i built for the front of the shelf, and i have zero rattles out of the thing at all now.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4859&highlight="lobo+rack"

i also had the problem of stuff coming off the top of it occassionally. i have most of my stuff secured down with extra velcro straps, but the blankets tend to fall all the time. i found a cargo net from wally world just like the one that comes with the x, it stretches over the whole shelf very easily and holds everything that is loose down.

all in all it cost me like 20 bucks to build this shelf, it comes down really easy, and i don't even see it in my rear-view mirror. it's a great place for all those odds and ends that you have no where else to put. i would highly recommend it.

one last thing i read, that i haven't tried yet- not sure if you have passengers in the back seat a lot, if you do, well, this won't work. but, those rubber-maid action packer boxes they sell (i know they have them at walmart, i have the large size in my trailer), well the smaller size ones supposedly fit perfectly on the floor infront of the rear seat. (i guess if you're pretty tall than it might not work if your drivers seat is far back). gives you extra storage for goods, and they are just about the same height as the seat, so it'll make a flat surface for you to lay things on as well. i hope this makes sense. here's a link to what i'm talking about. there's a pic on page 4

http://thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=695&highlight="action+packer"&page=4

#15 ·
John's advice should probably be followed here. I have an 04 and he has a 2nd gen.

#16 ·
John's advice should probably be followed here. I have an 04 and he has a 2nd gen.
the basic design of a closet-maid shelf and caribeeners will still work in the 2nd gen...i've just got ocd when it comes to stuff rattling in my x, so that's why i went through all the extra work

#18 ·
the basic design of a closet-maid shelf and caribeeners will still work in the 2nd gen...i've just got ocd when it comes to stuff rattling in my x, so that's why i went through all the extra work
There is no doubt it will work. I was just saying that your info might be better for his application. Mine never rattled though. I just packed it so gull that it was tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.