Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Speedo/Odo works sometimes

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dejablue 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 X supercharged 5-speed 4wd with 113,000 that has been experiencing some issues with the speedo. It seems to work for a little bit, and then it flutters for a couple miles and then completely dies. My odometer has been doing the same thing because I am assuming they are related. All my other gauges work just find (tach, fuel level, engine temp) and no dash lights come on at all. I am thinking that it could possibly be the gear on the VSS, as I read that on another nissan forum that happened to an Infiniti QX4, but I want to make sure that the VSS has a gear on the gen 1 X's. Also, how do you get to the VSS on this vehicle? I have never had this problem on any of my vehicles but I want to eliminate the cheaper options first if I can. Does someone have a diagram on where it is located? I saw one for the A/T but not the M/T.

#2 ·
#4 ·
Oh never mind, just took a look at the part and the gear is attached to the sensor. Good thing the sensor is only $45. Anyone have experience replacing this part? I want to see a few pictures of where it is actually located. I have an easier time seeing real pictures rather than look at a diagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.