Nissan XTerra Forum banner

My NEW teardrop Camper PROJECT

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MCermak 
#1 ·
I got this camper from an old man for $150 I was looking for a project. I wanted a small camper to rebuild myself. So my dad new this guy and got it for a steal. Luckily my dad drives a roll back so he could pick it up since it had flat tires.

Any ideas will help I am brainstorming of possibilities.

Here is the outside it’s solid but needs paint for sure. If any one is good at photoshop I am looking for a paint scheme and maybe a graphic design for it.

Here is the inside view ignore the mess I just tossed everything to one side.

Here is the rear hatch door or Kitchen area.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a cool project, I really want an offroad adventure camper myself.
Yeah I am thinking of maybe lifting the suspension some. Maybe changing leafs or something. But for now I'm more worried about restoring it.

#4 ·
Sweet dude! I recommend new window trim, a slab of paint, coyote if air mattresses and that bad boy us rest to go!!! Don't forget the case if beer so you don't care where you fall asleep at though ;-)!

#5 ·
Sweet dude! I recommend new window trim, a slab of paint, coyote if air mattresses and that bad boy us rest to go!!! Don't forget the case if beer so you don't care where you fall asleep at though ;-)!
Thanks. The window trim is fine just needs paint like the rest of the camper. I'm thinking of building some sort of futon style bench bed for the inside.

And of course there will be beer lol

#6 ·
as long as there are no holes in the outer shell those old campers can be fixed up for cheap. good find for the cheap project. Dont forget to check the wheel bearings. those old things are probably nasty and dry and I think the bearings for trailers are cheap.

#7 ·
Solar panel on the roof [40 watts plus], deep cycle battery and some led 12 volt lights. never in the dark. Depending on how you want to go a small inverter and a 110 plug or 2 you've also got radio and a coffee maker. Look up a site called backwoods solar for details

#9 ·
Solar panel on the roof [40 watts plus], deep cycle battery and some led 12 volt lights. never in the dark. Depending on how you want to go a small inverter and a 110 plug or 2 you've also got radio and a coffee maker. Look up a site called backwoods solar for details
I will have to check that out. I won't be really working on it till after the 1st of the year. I am thinking of using those tap lights as interior lights then that way I wouldn't even need a power source to be drained I could just pop cheap batteries in. Idk I guess I'm still brain storming.

#10 ·
valid point on the tap lights. Of course are they bright enough? I'm part of a group that manages a wilderness cabin which has led strips [12 volt] that's why I thought of them. as for batteries- use deep cycle ones. car batteries won't handle the strain of deep charge/discharge and crap out quickly. if you're only running lights you'd probably only need one battery. another source of good info is You Tube. or for deep details also look up a web site called "buildit solar.com". there's a lot of info there too. I'm no expert but I'm dabbling in solar here. I've got 2 panels [15 and 30 watt] hooked to 3 deep cycle batteries and a 400 watt inverter. with this I can run all my small electrics [razor/ cell phone/ battery lawn mower/ wireless mouse etc. ] I charge up 2 Canadian Tire battery packs too. I've used them to charge things up too and ran my sump pump during a power outage and my scroll saw a couple of times for fun [that really drains battery quick- you get a half hour tops]. feel free to ask- if I can answer questions I will.[ Even if the answer is I dunno]

#11 ·
Not sure on tap light brightness just a thought.

I'm thinking I want to stay away from solar it's just not anything I'm into.

#13 ·
Great find and a fun project. Whatever you decide, post the progress here. I'd make the paint match your X and even go as far as used rims to match as well.

For electric, I'd probably go with a portable generator. Don't know how much you want to restore versus replace, but if it were me; I'd custom fit some of my old camping gear in place of the stove.

Good luck and keep us up to date on the progress.

#15 ·
For a Buck Fiddy I'm jealous as heck!
A bit of (unsolicited) advice. Gut it before buying anything. It looks pretty solid but you don't know what you have to work with until you get it down to the basics.
This should make a sweet "build" thread.

#16 ·
For a Buck Fiddy I'm jealous as heck!
A bit of (unsolicited) advice. Gut it before buying anything. It looks pretty solid but you don't know what you have to work with until you get it down to the basics.
This should make a sweet "build" thread.
Yeah man I couldn't believe the price either. I plan on gutting it as soon as I have time. I am going to change the layout on the inside. Hopefully after I'm done moving I can start the actual build.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.