Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Need some help choosing my next set of tires...

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nismo9132 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I thought I was in good shape with tires on my Nissan Certified Pre-owned 2012 Xterra Pro-4X as I bought the vehicle with 17k miles and ~6.5/32s left on the OEM BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/As. I know a lot of people don't care for them, but I was hoping to at least get a feel for them before replacing them.

Sure enough, I was taking the wheels off to clean them and install a locking lug on Sunday and found a nail through one of the tread blocks and out into the upper sidewall on the inside. I have to believe the dealer knew about it but didn't want to fix it, since I was able to negotiate $800 off for new tires (since the OEMs have some cracking due to over-inflation). Oh well, I guess it's water under the bridge now since it has ~50 miles on it since I picked it up 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, the tires that I'm looking at are (all in the stock size):

General Grabber AT2
BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2s
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (E Load Rating)
Hankook Dynapro ATM

I have never taken any of my vehicles offroading and don't really plan to, but I tend to like the more aggressive tread due to the better performance in the snow. I'd preferrably like to keep the stock ride quality and tire noise about the same as I'll primarily be putting highway miles on the car (probably about 30k per year) so tread life is also pretty important.

Which tires would you recommend?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Cooper AT3. Better then all you listed. Look up the all terrain test that expedition portal conducted.
The price is really good ($132 ea. @ Discount Tire Direct right now), reviews are really good, and I really like the 55k mile warranty. I also found this video which compares the Goodyear Wrangler ATS to the Cooper Discoverer AT3s and the Coopers definitely perform better. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/m2OHErN5ZOI.

I had Mastercraft Courser AT2s (I believe Mastercraft is made by Cooper) on my 02 Xterra SE back when I had that and it was awesome in the snow. I could pull through some deep snow piles in 2WD without any issues but they were pretty loud on the highway. I usually only went 55mph because they were obnoxious. Seems like these are much quieter and will probably do just as good in the snow.

Thanks!

#5 ·
The ko2 was not in the review, and, is light years ahead of the 20+ year old ko...

...but I thought the article, which was pasted verbatim from another review source, was a decent review, even if the tires chosen were limited to manufacturers asked, and, willing, to give them free tires.

The Duratraks, etc, that are also great choices, were not in the review either.

As the AT3 ARE good tires, its not like getting them is a mistake if you want an AT that is more street oriented and not as good in mud as some other AT tires, etc.

#6 ·
Thanks! I'll be sticking to mostly on-road travel and just like the snow performance and rugged look of the all-terrain tires.

Just ordered a set of the Coopers through Discount Tire Direct. Can't wait to get them on the X.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.