Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Locking d-ring shackles

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  poppaX 
#1 ·
I had d ring shackles on the front of my arb bumper. I know you are supposed to mount shackles on there anyway but i strengthened the mount. Anyways i have my truck here at college and i went to go work on a light wiring issue today and noticed someone decided to stew both my shackles and kick both of my rigid LEDs. The lights are fine because rigid duallys are tough as nails. So, i am going to order locks for my rigids and my pro comp light. Now even though shackles arent particularly expensive, id rather not have another set stolen, but i cannot find locking shackles anywhere. Has anyone ever seen/heard of any kind of locking shackle?

#3 ·
yea i guess i might just do that now, better than having them get stolen again.

#6 ·
I think i may try the safety bolt idea. I like having my shackles on the truck, and at least the chance of theft decreases a little bit.

#7 ·
You can go to a boat store and buy a self-locking or allen head shackle in stainless. Expensive, but uses an allen head screw to lock. They come in different load capacities and can be found in the sailing area. Some will referr to them as a sail shackle.

#8 ·
alright i will give that a try, thanks.

#9 ·
That's a shame that people just don't leave other people's stuff alone... I mean unless they have an off road rig what could they possible want with your shackles, right?

Anyway, yeah a safety pin shackle might be the best way to go because then at least college kids couldn't take it off just to be mean. Someone with a tool would have to be intent on taking it.

Something like this maybe:

Grainger

#10 ·
Yea i know man its sad, they're not even that expensive but its the point that someone had to steal them from me. Whatever..but yea i looked at the sail shackles and those may be a bit expensive, i like the looks of that shackle with the safety pin though. I am going to go check a couple stores for those.

#12 ·
yea man i like the way they look too, thats why im definitely getting some new ones. Im going to try some with a safety pin maybe, i had mine tightened down pretty good too! Im thinking whoever took them had some kind of tool maybe.

#14 · (Edited)
Hoping to resurrect this thread with a simple question... for the standard X tow points front and back, is there a specific diameter/size of d-rings required? I'd like to carry these and a recovery strap in the trunk for if needed.
D-rings can't be used with the stock tow points. The stock tow point is a hook on the front. if you see the THIN metal tab hanging down with a slot cut into it...that is the TIE DOWN point. it is used for securing the truck to a flat bed or tow truck. It can't be used to recover a truck.

#16 ·
yes, when using the hitch use a rope with a loop put the loop in the hitch then put the hitch pin in the hitch threw the rop... DO NOT EVER put the rope around a Ball.

I carry a 20K rope with loops in my truck works on both the factory front hook, and threw my hitch in the rear.

#17 ·
You can use a hitch with a strap and just the pin, or get a D-ring hitch adapter:

#19 ·
Had the same problem with my D-Ring shackle. Its hard to make them completely Thief proof without welding them which obviously defeats the purpose of having them. I have one on my back hitch and I used thick Zip Ties around the D-Ring Pin hole as well as around the hitch receiver alligator clip. That way some punk walking by cant nab them with out some tools. If someone is gonna go back to there truck and grab a pair of pliers to cut my zips ties and take my shackle then eh. They can have em.

#20 ·
Zip ties seems to work well for me. Just make sure you have a knife or cutters in your X when you need to use them on the trial etc.

Attachments

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.