Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Travel Trailer Suggestions

13K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Agile 
#1 ·
Aloha all --

I'm looking for suggestions for the best travel trailers to use with my 2011 Pro-4x.

It's all stock on our X so we are working with the 5000lb limit.

It's a 6-speed manual.

I'm sure trailer-brakes are a good idea with any large load so I'm sure we will do that. I'd like suggestions for the best ones that y'all have used.

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
The 5000 lb tow limit is misleading. What you really need to be concerned about is the gross combined weight rating, which is the combined weight of the tow vehicle and the trailer (including gear and people).

On my 2011 Pro4X:
The curb weight is 4417 lbs + 106 lbs = 4523 lbs (see note below)
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 5400 lbs
The front Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR FR) is 2676 lbs
The rear axle (GAWR RR) is 2963 lbs.
Max tongue load = 500 lbs
Max frontal area of trailer = 60 sq ft.
Max GCWR = 9660 lbs (Gross Combined Weight Rating, or the total allowable curb weight of the vehicle and trailer)

Note: There is also a sticker that states the "Cargo carrying capacity reduced. Modifications to this vehicle have reduced the original cargo carrying capacity by 106 lbs." The options on my truck make it slightly heavier, which ultimately reduces the amount of crap I can carry by increasing the curb weight. The above curb weight value reflects this.

What does all that mean?

The truck curb weight is 4523 lbs. If you tow a 5000 lb trailer, that totals 9523 lbs. Max GCWR is 9660 lbs, so if you subtract that from 9523 lbs, that gives you a whopping total of 137 lbs remaining. That's a 137 lb allotment for you, your family and gear. (assuming the empty trailer weighs 5000 lbs and doesn't include gear already).

Basically, the only way you could ever actually tow a 5000 lb trailer (according to Nissan) is if the driver is the only one in the vehicle.

Edit: ALL of this is also dependent on temperature, road conditions, weather, etc.

Also: Nissan actually states that when towing loads above 3500 lbs a trailer brake system "MUST" be used. You also have to make sure you don't exceed the tongue load.

#5 ·
Forgot to add my trailer suggestion :D

I had a 16 foot Casita for many years and absolutely loved it. My particular one didn't like to be towed with a full potable water tank, but it was a breeze to pull otherwise.

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/index.html

There are so many lightweight trailers on the market right now due to the high(er) price of gasoline. You should have no problem finding one that suits you.

#6 ·
good info - thanks

Thanks for the input and breaking down the various ratings. There is a lot more to think about than Hawaii camping ..... 1. Put crap in X. 2. Drive to beach or mountain 3. Throw crap on ground. 4. Stay hydrated

I was thinking that a dry weight round 3500lbs is the best move. That allows for gear and not pushing things to the max.

That max towing surface rating of 60 square ft. will be a tough one. Most of these things are 8x10 that i've been seeing.

Who has had success and with which trailer brakes?? Manufacturer / Model? Are they specific to the trailer or tow vehicle?

I've seen aluminum and fiberglass options. Alum would probably hold up better i assume......

#7 ·
I had a generic Hayes controller that I wired into my truck to tow my Casita. I don't remember the actual tow weight, but it wasn't much more than 2,000 lbs. It was equipped with electric brakes, and they really did make a noticeable difference in the overall stopping distance of the vehicle. I just had to spend some time adjusting the controller / brake sensitivity to keep from locking up the trailer wheels.

One of the lightest trailers I have seen was called a cricket http://www.crickettrailer.com/index.html

dry weight is around 1500 lbs, but may not be an option for you since you are concerned about the cold (it's a semi pop up).

#11 ·
Hey Pops, the link you posted brings to the company that built my camper, ( the one that is hooked up to the back of my X on the second post). that is a Surveyor SP220 by Forest River
Yea, good stuff aren't they? I picked up a Rockwood 2702SS a few weeks ago and it's loaded out way better than the Jayco I had before it, and even the new Jayco models for that matter.

#12 ·
I tow a 2013 Forest River R-Pod 177 (with slide out) with my 2002 SE S/C with a five speed manual. It makes roughly the same torque as a new 4 litre but only has 210 hp.

The trailer sleeps three adults or two adults and two kids up to about 12 years old. It weighs 2800 pounds dry and I use a load leveler hitch.

We got the Hood River Edition trailer because it has the risers already installed and aluminum checker plate on the front and in the wheel wells to absorb the rocks on the numerous gravel roads we travel.

It all works just fine through the mountains of British Columbia.

Ian

#13 ·
Scamp is another light trailer. Casita knock off
http://www.scamptrailers.com/

A few years ago I was in the market for a used light travel trailer. The forums were full of people complaining about shoddy workmanship and sub par materials. No matter what you pick, do your research. I found some really great deals listed on Craigslist for "fixer uppers".

#14 ·
Airstream?

My husband and I have an Airstream excellent that is only 7000lbs. That is a bit out of your weight range, but they make another trailer called the Airstream Flying Cloud Travel Trailer. It can be. 3792-6000 lbs. Airstreams are great trailers. Very comfortable, and retain their value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.