Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Reliability over 150k

56K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  jhphoto21 
#1 ·
Hey all...just signed up for the forums to increase my knowledge of the Xs as I am looking to purchase one in January. My budget is about 5-6k so I will be looking at one with over 110k. I wanted to get some first hand feedback from you guys and gals on how reliable these vehicles are overall once they get up in mileage. Obviously this would depend on how they are cared for but just a general idea.

Also, how would you rate the cost of repairs for them? I currently have an 07 Audi A4 so I know what repair costs are but am curious as to how reasonable they are for the X.

Thanks everyone...

#2 · (Edited)
I had an 01 jetta and compared to the xterra the thing was a money pit. So far other than mods to my truck and things I have broken doing mods or playing I have only had the distributor and knock sensor go out. The stock shocks were worn completely but that is something you expect on a vehicle with a lot of miles on it. and a lot of the cost will come down to whether or not you do the work yourself. parts for the xterra have been much cheaper than parts for my jetta, and I have only "HAD" to buy a couple of things for it. with the jetta I was good till I hit 140k and then it was literally every week or 2 I was having to buy some kind of sensor or something. I was spending more on parts a month for the jetta than my payment for my xterra was.

#3 ·
So far I am only at 120K and 130K. My X with 120K was meticuously maintained and has not needed anything yet. Everything still has alot of life on it. Yes it was taken off-road and cleaned correctly.
The 2001 Xterra with 130K I just recently purchased. it needed a New radiator and all new hoses all the way around upon purchasing. It also looks like it needs a tune up desperately.

#4 ·
208K and still going strong. Parts aren't too bad, but labor can get to you, especially if you're up north (i.e. rust). If you have the space, tools, and a little mechanical know how, there's nothing you cannot do yourself on this truck. Since I do my own oil changes, I send a sample off to be tested and that will let you know how well the engine is running -- leaking rings, head gaskets, fuel leaks, etc.

#6 ·
142 and I think it should be running for a lot longer engine wise! Ive got new head gaskets, valve covers, radiator, water pump, & timing belt. I think if anything goes next it'll be my tranny but I'm taking it easier on it. Ive heard people talk about if it takes along time for it to turn over when starting your engines life is short. I don't believe that, mine takes a second but seems to run great.

#7 ·
Reactions: S1C EM
#12 ·
Ive got about 140k miles on my 03 supercharged. I had to replace the supercharger, but I think that was due to previous owner abuse. Other than that, just the knock sensor, and all belts including timing belt as preventative maintenance. Its running strong with no problems.

#13 ·
My daughter has 200k on her 2000 3.3 engine, just leaking a little oil, running fine. Auto trans is showing sign of needing a rebuild. Body just starting to show rust.
valve covers leaking probably?
and the rust is probably just behind the back doors?

I looked at a few gen1 and gen2 pathfinders before getting my Gen1X and all had rust behind the back doors.:amazing:

#14 ·
153,000 miles on a 00 v6 bought in april with 145,000 on it 2 things have broke, and not anything way to bad for mileage, starter and 1 o2 sensor totaling $200 in parts to keep er rolling, then theres the maintenance items such as shocks, small oil leak, tires and tune up, the une up i do on any car i buy regardless of mileage when i get em like having my own parts so i know when they were replaced, but all of it was well priced and easy to fix the vg engines are tough and reliable only thing is timing belt just watch for the mileage like a hawk and change it when it says. (every 105,000 miles)

#15 ·
250k on my dads 01 Supercharged Frontier.
Owned since new.
Here's the list of what I have done to it.

70k Knock sensor ,and Exhaust manifolds, Warranty covered these.
170k radiator replacement. It was not leaking but it was not cooling as efficiently as it should.

218k replaced factory supercharger. Truck ran fine ,but the charger was getting a little noisy.

Other than spark plugs, fluid changes , and couple of timing belts that's all it's ever needed.

It still feels great ,and I don't see any signs of the engine or transmission needing any real attention any time soon other than their routine fluid changes.

#16 ·
I have a 2001 X with 188,000 miles on it (about to add 2k for a drive to alaska) and the thing runs like a beast. I try to take it off roading once a week (twice at the most) so it's not like I'm a mall crawler. The previous owner apparently took VERY GOOD care of it so that helped out a lot. The only problems I'm having is that certain things are falling apart, most likely from wear and tear. But it DOES NOT hinder me from off roading and it doesn't get in the way of anything. Hell, you wouldn't notice it unless you looked on the inside of the vehicle or under the truck.

#17 ·
Just cleared 150,000 on the way to go skiing (go figure). Cleared 100,000 after blasting across the desert in 4WD. Who knows where I'll be at 200,000.

Air Conditioning and catalytic converters have been the biggest expenses.

No whining now.

#20 ·
My 2003 Supercharged got 252k on the original engine before I replaced it with a reman engine. The original transmission got 330k before doing a complete rebuild.

Other than that, I replaced shocks, brakes, radiator ($80), knock sensors and that sort of thing. Very reliable in my opinion if you maintain it properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.