Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Heavy Duty Steering kit?

12K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  RacerXXL 
#1 ·
Ok I know this has been asked many times over but have searched and searched threw the forum and all I have found to my answer is solutions that unfortunately don't exist anymore. I am finally after many years getting around to putting a lift on my Xterra and have been looking at my options for a heavy duty steering kit. I am pretty set on getting the TC King Kong kit from AC (price is super steep). My other option was the Calmini kit but I have heard nothing but horror stories about them lately. Before I pull the trigger on this kit I just wanted to see if there are any other options that are still around? Thanks for the input!

#4 ·
The Calmini kit isn't bad. I doubt they have any "in stock" so you'd have to order it and wait.
SLR kit is available direct from Spencer for about $200 more than the Calmini and again, you'd have to order it and wait for him to build it for you.

#8 ·
How can I get a hold of Spencer? Do you have any pics of the SLR kit by chance?
I can get you his contact info if you want. The only pictures I’ve got on hand are his modified, machined and heat treated SLR on left. OEM idler arm pin on the right;

and SLR idler arm, idler arm pin and center link (in a modified total chaos brace).

If you want more pictures tell me of what and I’ll take them and post them when I have some time.

#10 ·
I'm trying to do one now, but the clown over at P&P that goes by the name Mac - didn't send all the mounting hardware for the kit. If I can get it done, I'll post the pictures. Beware of P&P, very slow, full of excuses and only communicates through email (very slow at replying).

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Found some pictures of the SLR with Bandit4x4 bushings and Calmini IA brace I helped a buddy put in his truck. That's the OEM steering with an old Calmini brace to the right of the SLR stuff in the first pic..

Could I get the contact info for Spencer/SLR kit?

#14 ·
Found some pictures of the SLR with Bandit4x4 bushings and Calmini IA brace I helped a buddy put in his truck. That's the OEM steering with an old Calmini brace to the right of the SLR stuff in the first pic..

Could I get the contact info for Spencer/SLR kit?
Got your PM and responded with info...

#15 ·
Thanks Bklyn, the pics definitely helped. Had major troubles with the Heim joint tie rod ends. Could never get them to work with the suspension at full drop. Looking back at the pictures of the Heim joint tie rods installed, noticed they were on a stock truck, not with the 3" suspension lift we installed. Finally gave up and went back to ball joint tie rod ends haha.

#16 ·
I can get you his contact info if you want. The only pictures I’ve got on hand are his modified, machined and heat treated SLR on left. OEM idler arm pin on the right;

and SLR idler arm, idler arm pin and center link (in a modified total chaos brace).

If you want more pictures tell me of what and I’ll take them and post them when I have some time.
Tom, i like this...how is this from SLR? thanks

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I think it was great. You can rebuild it (bushings and bearings) when it starts getting sloppy. Then it's like new again. It was on my truck for years and never let me down. I lent it to a friend who has it on his Fronty at the moment.

#19 ·
Yeah, Spencer modifies the OEM so its double shear and works with the bearings in his center link. You add the bushings from Bandit4X4 and ya got a pretty strong set up that's rebuildable.

#23 ·
Do some searching and get a hold of SLR. They do still make IFS kits for the 1st gen. I bought mine from them in the past year. Coupled with a AC idler arm brace, my rig feels super solid. Though you may want to get the Calmini idler arm brace, its a bit more robust and Calmini seems to still make them.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nick Shattuck
#28 ·
@Randall_ Yep, SLR is high quality, gr8 customer service and communications, and is rebuildable.

#30 ·
#33 ·
Well, the MOOG kit is, at best, the same as OEM. And OEM is a bit weak if you plan to do any off roading. If you do go with MOOG, then at least get a idler arm brace from AC/4x4parts.com, plus the beefier tie rod adjusters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.