Nissan XTerra Forum banner

01 Not firing

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jarebear22 
#1 ·
Got a 2001 xterra with 270k miles. Engine died while I was driving it. Now the engine turns, but it's not firing. It had been hard to start for the last couple of months. Might be the crank sensor? Changed the timing belt 2 years ago

#4 ·
I've read six signs of a bad distributor and yours shows two signs out of the six.
1) trouble starting the car when warm and may start when cold.
2) car shuts off randomly
You can buy a decent distributor online for around $70.

It also could be the fuel pump which in the xterra is easy to fix.

Check fuel pressure and the distributor could be bad inside of it and not necessarily the drive gear being stripped.

#6 ·
before you spend money on a distributor I would check the fuel pump assembly too because that fuel pump assembly did have a recall and it was do to corrosion on one of the plugs. This could cause your xterra to shut off while driving and it may not ever start again or it could be intermittent. After your car is completely cool try listening for the fuel pump engaging...bit would be a kinda buzzing sound. Here is a pic of mine that I pulled from my xterra about a week ago because my xterra was not starting. It would turn over but not get enough gas to ignite. After changing it with a brand new one i haven't had the same problem since.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.