Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Bad Alt? 13.5v running

811 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Luv2xlr8 
#1 ·
Having some weird issues the last week or so since it has been getting cold. I have an aftermarket volt meter in the cab. Usually sits at 14v just over, and I have verified with my fluke while running its 14.1v consistently...

However the last few weeks since it has been cold and after sitting for a few weeks I have noticed a running voltage of 13.5v sometimes lower. Between 12.5and 13.5 but not 14 like normal. Car starts ok, and I have had a new alt installed by nissan about a year ago. Its odd when I have tried to reproduce in the driveway wight he volt meter I read 14.1v again once, and another I read 13.6v

Just wondering if this is a sign of the alt going bad? anyone have this issue before? I tried to search.

#3 ·
Was 12.5v isn on the way to work this morning, then one the way home I noticed it was 10.5-11v but the truck started fine and I got home ok. Now I am checking to see what the problem could be. Lights are dim, but everything works. Not battery light is present. I just know this because of my aftermarket gauge and I have confirmed at the battery with voltmeter to make sure and batter is reading the same voltage.

I am guessing it is the alt but could it also be a bad positive cable to the battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.