Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1st or 2nd Gen? That is the question!

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Akuria 
#1 ·
Hey guys. New guy here. So I'm set on getting an Xterra now. Been in the automotive business for a while, now I'm back into aviation. Job is allowing me to buy another vehicle, and well it's time anyways.

My question to you guys is, do I get an 05 or later? Or save some cash and buy a 1st gen? Everything I'm seeing is go for 05 or later. But maybe there's something I'm missing. tia

#2 ·
Well I would say that performance wise the gen 2s are better and get better mpg but are pricier.

The gen 1s look better IMO and are simpler to work on and parts are cheaper too but do lack in power and mpg.

If you can live with the poor mpg and less power I would go with a gen 1.

#3 ·
Yeah I can totally aggree with that. I love the way the 1st gen's look. But the 2nd gen just seems more practical for our life right now as I will probably be driving this every day (at least for a while) and will need the "Xtra" power...

Plus I can always add goodies later, right?

#5 · (Edited)
What is the primary use going to be for the vehicle?
I agree. If you just want something to get you around town and to and from work with the occasional dirt road then the Xterra might not be the best SUV out there for you. Even the gen 2s are impractical compared to other "soft core" SUVs out there and in the city you will struggle to get more than 20mpg and then gen 1s are even worse. Some on here say they only get 11mpg city.

The Xterra is a old fashion SUV which sits on top of a old school frame making them heavy and have bad road manners, unlike, new school SUVs which have a integrated frame with the body making them much lighter and handle better on tarmac. Also Xterras use old school suspension design with a live leaf sprung rear axle where as newer SUVs have fully independent suspension giving them better road performance.

On the flip side, with the "old school" tech and design comes far superior Off-road performance compared to the "new school soft core" SUVs.

So where the Xterra lacks in road manners and road performance it makes up for it in off-road abilities and thats why we on this forum choose the Xterra. We are willing to live with the bad road manners and poor MPGs and such so we can dominate the dirt, mud, and rocks.

You have to ask yourself do I want a car that looks like a SUV aka "the Crossover" that handles great on the road and axn still handle a light dirt road or do I want to settle for bad road manners and poor MPG to get a kick ass off-road machine.

With all that said, I love the Xterra both gen 1 and 2s and pretty much everyone on here will say the same thing and DEATH to the wimpy SUV wannabes.

BTW, here is a list of SUV that still use old school body on frame.

BODY ON FRAME with LIVE REAR AXLE (a real SUV)

Nissan Xterra
Jeep Wrangler
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Chevy Tahoe and Suburban

the list is short. every other SUV has compromised in some way for better MPG and better road manners making it less off-roady.

#7 ·
Cool. Just want to make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy an xterra. The worst is people buying off road trucks and SUVs like the xterra and not using them for what they are meant to do.

The Xterra is a great little SUV and are quite capable little off roaders even stock.

A big plus for the gen 1 is you can effectively get 3.5" of lift for about $100 by combing the 1.5" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. Then shove 33" tires on there and you got yourself a great ride.

#8 ·
2nd Gen all the way. More Power, More Room, Can fit 33's with only the melt mod, no lift required. I've had both 1st and 2nd and love my 2nd way more but that my .2

#9 ·
2nd Gen all the way. More Power, More Room, Can fit 33's with only the melt mod, no lift required. I've had both 1st and 2nd and love my 2nd way more but that my .2

I like the smaller size of the gen 1. As for 33's without having to do a lift. What's the fun in that? Lift it up!!! :)

The biggest issue I have with the gen 2 is the electronic 4wd engagement. I much prefer old school mechanical engagement not a wire.

#11 ·
Welcome....

You have been good opinions here....

I am a gen 1 guy because it is what I had in the past, They are simple to work on and I like "old" true truck technology... Ohhh and because I can afford a gen 1 ;-) hahah

#12 ·
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Some depends on what you can live with. There are too many little things I do not like about the Gen 2. I would rather get a WD21 pathfinder before a Gen 2. Gen 1 Xterra is much closer in design to the WD21. Alot depends on what you want it to do and what you can live with or without.

#13 ·
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Some depends on what you can live with. There are too many little things I do not like about the Gen 2. I would rather get a WD21 pathfinder before a Gen 2. Gen 1 Xterra is much closer in design to the WD21. Alot depends on what you want it to do and what you can live with or without.
I agree. Although I would take a WD22 Xterra over a WD21 Pathy but that's me but the WD21 Pathy is still a great platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.