Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Knock Sensor and Supercharge Question

9K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jasonk 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new on this forum and have very limited mechanical knowledge. That said, I've got a 2003 Xterra SE with a Supercharger and just recently started getting the Check Engine Light. The past two times I've had the
P0328 Knock Sensor code shows up. I've read some of the posts here that say this will disable your supercharger. If this is correct, could this cause any other problems if I just continue to drive it without getting it fixed? From what it sounds like, its an expensive fix and I haven't noticed a loss in power since i've had the truck. (4 years).

The other codes that have popped up were the P0430 - Catalyst System Efficency Below Threshold, which let me to finding the cracked exhaust manifold. And the P0132 O2 sensor, which just came up after replacing the manifold and replacing the stock muffler with a Magnaflow. Still need to figure this one out too.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
From what I understand you should replace the knock sensor if you have a SC. The NA motors it doesn't really matter so much on and most people just leave them alone.

It will affect performance - but if you aren't wheeling it, you may not really notice if you're not racing someone.

As for possible problems it would cause - I am not sure, so I will let someone else answer that.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply OdiN

I guess I'll just take it to the shop to be on the safe side. I got some other CEL codes I need looked at. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra $$ and have the Nissan Dealer Service folks look it at rather than the local Auto shop. Any thoughts on that?

#5 ·
The P0430 code could have meant your leak in the manifold - which definitely good you replaced that. But if it is still there, it could be caused by your faulty O2 sensor. I'm not sure if it would cause the knock sensor code though. Also it could mean you have a bad catalytic converter, which may cause an O2 sensor code - not sure.

So it may just be a problem with one thing, or might be more. Hard to say.

I don't usually go to the dealer unless I need hard to find parts. I just take it to a good shop I know.

#7 ·
I just had my knock sensor replace in my 03 s/c and it made a big difference. I gained roughly 30 hp. While they were fixing my knock sensor they found the crack sensor not working either, upon looking closer they found that the plug had been rammed into the socket the last time the transmission had been worked on(previous owner). I went from 11 mpg to 19 mpg in the city. I recommend getting it fixed.

#8 ·
I just had my knock sensor replace in my 03 s/c and it made a big difference. I gained roughly 30 hp. While they were fixing my knock sensor they found the crack sensor not working either, upon looking closer they found that the plug had been rammed into the socket the last time the transmission had been worked on(previous owner). I went from 11 mpg to 19 mpg in the city. I recommend getting it fixed.
i just got a new to me 02 se s/c and i had the codes pulled. I got the knock sensor code but my x gets 17-18 mpg and I can feel the s/c kick in. If you feel the s/c kick in and you are getting roughly the same mpg your supercharger is working and you aren't losing anything. if your mileage is in the tank at around 11 or so like Saighdear I'd have it looked at. If I ever have to get the ks replaced I'll be doing a relocation as opposed to the replacement. I think it's $100 worth of parts (maxima or Altima ks IIRC) and is DIY friendly. You are looking at $1000 to have a dealer replace the ks (gathered from what I read).

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply OdiN

I guess I'll just take it to the shop to be on the safe side. I got some other CEL codes I need looked at. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra $$ and have the Nissan Dealer Service folks look it at rather than the local Auto shop. Any thoughts on that?
do your homework and ask around, make sure they are comfortable working on the nissan. I would use a local ma and pop shop if I felt confident in them. Case in point. I just paid $460 for a timing belt/water pump/tensioner replacement. Dealer wanted $760 and that was at a special labor rate....my friend is the service mgr.

#14 ·
coastie,

read the paste below....i copied it from post#25 by desurtrat in this thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?p=35940&posted=1#post35940

OK, copied this post from 01SalsaX over at linxc.com (long Island Nissan Xterra Club)

http://www.linxc.com/forums_v3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=136

Get a Nissan Maxima Knock sensor wiring harness
Nissan Harness part number is 24079-31U01 for a 1994-98 Maxima..

And a matching Maxima Knock sensor (preferably new)..

Find the plug for the knock sensor on the side of the engine below the intake manifold. Try to unplug the harness from the sensor by squeezing the tabs and pulling it.. If this isnt possible, then you can trace the wiring back to the beginning point on the right side valve cover..
You should be able to disconnect it and compare it to the new maxima wiring harness. The new maxima harness should plug right in where the stock harness went.
If it doesnt then modify it so it does plug in..
Then connect the new knock sensor and use a 10mm bolt, be sure to grinding down the connection for proper ground, and bolt it to the intake manifold, on one of the unused spots towards the front of the engine..
Make sure that it has a good ground..
Clear the engine code out..
And that Should fix your problem for good..

Miikkaa already did this to his X. I'll hopefully be doing mine soon. I'll post pix and exact description when I do it..
The part number is correct..

Here is a page from the maxima forums showing the relocation as well..
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.