Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Just bought 2000 X SE with Problems

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ShadyRedX 
#1 ·
So I signed and bought a 2000 Xterra for 5K on 12/28/12 that's right less than a month ago. The muffler was bad and replaced by the dealer. A week later I started to hear the Fan Clutch work way to hard so I took it in to my mechanic to be looked at. He replaced the Fan Clutch, Water Pump, timing belt and gears. While he had it taken apart he looked everything over real good... "so he says" and Says we got a good deal. I have had it out for two days and now I think the Transmission is getting suck between gears! I have kept the Dealership that I bought it from informed with everything I have done to the X so far. I cant wait for tomorrow when he opens I will be on the phone calling him telling about the transmission problems. I don't know weather to take it to the mechanic or the dealer first.
:wahrsager-big:

What is a girl to do??

#2 ·
Take it back to the dealer first. They should have checked that out, before they put it on the lot for sale! Repairs should be on their dime!

#3 ·
Focus on explaining the symptoms of the problem rather than what your conclusion is. What is happening that would indicate the transmission is getting "stuck between gears"?

Get a quote from your mechanic to fix the problems and then take that to the dealer. Unfortunately unless there is some provision in the sale papers that the dealer will cover anything under a warranty, all problems you have after you sign the docs are your problem.

#6 · (Edited)
I am taking it back today for repairs.. making him take it to a transmission shop, he will tell me where its going, and give me a loaner car while mine is gone, I will stop by this evening and talk to the mechanic that's working on my x about the work being done. Finally I will get a warranty on the work being done,up to 90 days where there was only 30 days before they have now had to take the transmission out and either A) Over haul it or B) replace it. so in either case I will need a new warranty on the car to make sure the work was done right and I wont be putting another 1200 in it in 2 months down the road cause he didn't do the job right or didn't do it at all just did a temp fix.
Right now it doesn't like to change gears its jumps hard into gear and grinds some too. it wont be long and my X wont be drive able. When I checked the transmission Fluid Dip stick there was metal flecks all in it. you didn't see it on the stick but when you wiped it off there were some on the towel, only 5 or 6 but thats enough to show there is damage right?

#8 ·
We checked all the fluids they all looked fresh transmission fluid was amber in color with no obvious odors.
They are going to replace the transmission after changing the filter and cleaning out the pan. I told him if there was already grinding that caused damage to it to replace it. The dealer is saying this is the first time in years that someone has come back with motor/trans issues he already has a line on a few transmissions. Will honor a warranty on them. I'm just happy they are trying to swindle me, or it goes seem that way.

#10 ·
What s shame the dealer ripped you off. I would not keep it. I would Stir up trouble until they fix it or take it back and go find another X. I bought one off CL for 1500 and it has yet to have any problems besides the problems I bough it for. bad hoses/Overheating. Heck and that was bought for 1500 o.o

#11 ·
I am starting to feel like I was. I am going back tomorrow to get it back the changed the filter and cleaned the pan out. I am not going to roll over on this. He will give me another month on the warranty on the trans given that I am having issues with it. If he is a good business man then he will, I could say no I want a new trans right now which I have every right to do. I am going to take it tomorrow drive it to work, not giving it any break, then my hubby will be taking in to the range for some shooting he is a guy, but more than that he doesn't listen to the car, when I hear something he never does. I know that he would have heard the grind. If it acts up in any way we will be taking it back and request a new transmission. I am taking it to my mechanic on Saturday to have him look at it.

the Dealership said that they put an "additive" in the trans cleaned the pan and replaced the filter. They said the fluid was dark orange but not black. which is a sign of something given the fact that just 3 weeks ago it was amber. They also said that there was not much in the bottom of the pan to say there was grinding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.