Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Question for those running bigger tires.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  xtacular 
#1 · (Edited)
This is really a question for those of you x'ers rolling on 33" or larger tires, mostly Gen 1's. Do most of you guys regear the t-case or diffs or just go with the OE gear ratios? I've regeared 3 jeeps to get me a decent crawl ratio, and with the xTerra's 2:1 low gear transfer case and so-so first gear auto transmission, the only saving grace is the 4.9:1 diff gears. Even then, running regular 265/70r16's, I find the low range transfer case mediocre off road and still too fast on steep descents. Not to mention the Gen 1 v-6 isn't exactly a power monster either. Just curious as to how you deal with it, especially running bigger tires. Thanks.

#2 ·
Most of us just stay with the same gear ratio in the diffs if we are just running 33s. As for the tcase I would recommend re gearing it. It's expensive though but a 4:1 reduction is awesome.

I've seen videos of guys that had it done putting it in 4lo and getting out and walking next to it and they were a manual tranny.

#3 ·
I think the reason a lot of us just stay with the same gears it's that it's really expensive for our rigs. The ring and pinion sets are like 400-500 bucks each and then the cost of getting put in. That's at least why for me. I can live with a little off gearing. I at least have the 4.9 unlike most on here have the 4.6 so it's really not bad a t all.

#4 ·
I'm OK with 33's and 4.9 gears but would definitely want to re-gear if I move up to 35's.

#5 ·
I can walk next to mine in 4lo - manual and 4.9s w/ 33s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.