Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Inexpensive but good lift

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ryne 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I have an 2010 4x4 x that I would like to lift.
I'm not trying to drop big bucks but I really would like the clearance.
What do you guys recommend?

#4 ·
Did you want more clearance of the diffs, axles, leaf hangers, etc...or just the frame?

#6 ·
So, your diffs, axles, leaf hangers, etc, were not hanging you up, you were hitting your FRAME?

:D

BTW - the "pucks" mentioned above ARE the spacers you mentioned.

#9 ·
From what I've gathered, the only way to get that diff higher from the ground is getting bigger tires, and the easiest and cheapest way to do that is a body lift, I think I'm right on that but if I'm not someone please correct me, cheers.

#10 ·
Enter the 3" body lift and 35" or bigger tires..

Suspension lift isn't going to help you..
Not true, a SL gains you ground clearance from your frame while a BL will gain you no ground clearance from the frame; it just lifts the body hence body lift. However, the only way, to my knowledge, to gain diff clearance is with bigger tires which usually will require a BL if you want to run bigger tires than 32s on a 1gen.

Plus 3" BLs require a lot of work of extending all sorts of things, and on top of that you should probably regear if you plan on running 35s. I would just settle for a 2" BL and 33s

#11 ·
Not true, a SL gains you ground clearance from your frame while a BL will gain you no ground clearance from the frame; it just lifts the body hence body lift. However, the only way, to my knowledge, to gain diff clearance is with bigger tires which usually will require a BL if you want to run bigger tires than 32s on a 1gen.

Plus 3" BLs require a lot of work of extending all sorts of things, and on top of that you should probably regear if you plan on running 35s. I would just settle for a 2" BL and 33s
Ya, but honestly, how often do you actually worry about hitting your frame on anything.

It doesn't matter how high you lift your frame.. You're ground clearance isn't going any higher, as you're limited by your lowest point.

And your leaf brackets, axle and differential that you're going to be bottoming out on on those rocks you're driving over.

Lifting your frame is really just helping your approach angles, which helps with big ruts and things, and may reduce your vehicle drag through slightly deeper mud puddles (only 2-3" deeper).. But no matter how high your approach angles are, you're still going to bottom out exactly the same as if you had no frame lift.

The only way to raise your actual clearance going over rocks is bigger tires.. Which requires body lift.

But 35" and bigger tires limits your on-road functionality..

The guys I know with 44" and larger tires never even get onto a highway, or speeds above 40mph

I guess if you regeared, it might help but that's probably pretty spendy.

But probably not more expensive than the Suspension lifts you're talking about.

So, as far as I can see, bigger tires and Body Lift is the best thing you can do for clearance. Which also raises your frame the same as a suspension lift to the extent your tires raise the differential, axle, and leaf brackets.

So it seems that BL for Big Tires takes care of everything. And an adding a Suspension Lift would only help to add additional approach angle clearance and water clearance and mud clearance .. Though bumpers with high approach angles are far more useful than SL. And the body lift solves the water problem for the most part, leaving SLs main usefulness the reduced drag you get going through mud above the frame level

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.