Nissan XTerra Forum banner

What after market speakers do you have?

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shizelbs 
#1 ·
My speakers, not sure which, are either blown or about to be. There's a lot of crackling when the volume of my stereo is up and it doesn't seem to matter what I do with the EQ or any of the preset EQs.

The stereo I have is an Alpine CDE W235BT (I'm on mobile and can't paste the url). The speakers I am looking at are Alpine SPS 610C 6.5" but to be quite honest, I don't know if those are good for the power of the stereo.

I know very little about electronics so if someone could help me figure this out =] I'dappreciate it.

#3 ·
Dont know if you are still looking.. but I only replaced my fronts on my 2002 SE.
I have a Pioneer FH-X700BT head unit- similar to your in every way.
I left the stock crossovers and replaced the front doors and tweeters with these Infinity Reference 6030cs :
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BS5YAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

They sound great.
the install was easy.. they come with an adapter ring.. although I used this:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZQVKYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I had to carve the A post a tiny bit with a knife... but it was trivial.

Hope this helps!

#5 ·
I have JBL's all around. I bought them with part of my tax refund.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN2TGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANIECRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

#6 ·
I just got these JBL's and installed them last night with the stock head unit. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. The stock front speakers actually sounded better than these. The rears were an improvement for sure, but they go pretty unnoticed unless you fade the rear.

Mid-bass is non-existent, and there is no bass either unless you really crank the volume up.

I'm hoping that a new head unit with more range and perhaps power will solve this, but kinda sucks because there will be no way for me to know without taking another chance.

ben

#7 ·
I just got these JBL's and installed them last night with the stock head unit. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. The stock front speakers actually sounded better than these. The rears were an improvement for sure, but they go pretty unnoticed unless you fade the rear.

Mid-bass is non-existent, and there is no bass either unless you really crank the volume up.

I'm hoping that a new head unit with more range and perhaps power will solve this, but kinda sucks because there will be no way for me to know without taking another chance.

ben

That's what happened to me. You can't turn them up very loud and can't hear the backs. But when I bought mine the guy took out every speaker in the car. I might get a new head unit and amp to see if it changes anything.

#8 ·
That's what happened to me. You can't turn them up very loud and can't hear the backs. But when I bought mine the guy took out every speaker in the car. I might get a new head unit and amp to see if it changes anything.
I wish you had posted back with that experience before.

In the end, if these don't work out, I'm not out too much money on them. I've got a new head unit on order. Should be able to report back in about a week if it makes any difference or not.

ben

#10 ·
Good aftermarket speakers like the posted JBL GTO models need more power than the stock head unit pushes. They probably sound even better with an amp pushing them but not necessary. AN important part is they need clean power which factory units aren't really known for.

I have an '07 SE with the factory Rockford Fosgate system. I am looking at Infinity Kappa speakers to go with a new head unit and maybe amp/sub for the back.

#12 ·
I ended up going with Kappa 6.5 components. Loud and sound great. I also would have preferred a slightly larger tweeter. Maybe a full 1 inch instead of the 3/4" they come with. Main reason I went with Kappas is the silk dome tweeters they use as opposed to metallic tweeters. Silks usually have a softer sound than metallics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.