Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Any thing Else besides ARB or Shrockworks

12K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  Chopperjake 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Ive been noticing that there is a very limited market for front bumpers. As of right now all i can find is ARB and Shrockworks. I dont necessarily like how they look and for the price I think Shrockworks is hella expensive. Ive found this Warn bumper http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/jk_bumper.shtml but it seems that they dont make stuff for Xs which is a damn shame. So my question is, is there anyone else? im not digging the 850-900 bumpers from shrock and the arbs are close but not my style..

any help is awesome!!!

#4 ·
I think it was Kennesaw Mountain Accessories that became the Tactical Armor Group. I like the way their bumper looks on the Xterra and it's cheaper than Shrocks - Wincher - though I'm sure freight shipping will add more to the grand total.

I've heard though that they take a long time to fab their products up, like 3-6 months processing time, but I don't know if that's accurate since they changed names.

#6 ·
RLC fab is turning out some sweet bumpers for the xterra!!! His prices are reasonable, if im not mistake in the 700-800 or so range dependin on how you order your bumper and with what options... Definately who ill be dealin with when I finally get around to gettin a bumper for mine. Hell work with you on the design too which is a big plus.
http://rlcweldfab.com/index.php/store#ecwid:category=2212872&mode=product&product=9437397

Id stay away from tactical armor group. There's not awhole lot of love out there for them if you start doin research. Who knows they might have got there act together after changin names. But to me its a shot in the dark to find out.

#7 · (Edited)
Custom is the way to go...

You get something unique to your truck for a lot less than ARB/Shrock. Plus you can have specific features built into the design that you wouldn't get with a pre-designed bumper. For instance, I'm planning on removing the stock grill completely and tucking my driving lights in the space that will be free'd up once the grill is out of the way. I am having a front bumper built in a month or so and the design will incorporate a solid mounting solution for my lights in the grille area.

Same goes for any armor really. I took my local shop some photos of the White Knuckle first-gen sliders and they built an identical set in under two weeks. They charged me about 65% of the cost of the White Knuckle units and that's before you factor in tax and shipping to Canada (shipping on the sliders would have been $150 alone)!

#9 ·
RLCWELDFAB.COM Makes a great front bumper for the 1st generation. I placed my order earlier this year. Emailed back and for with options and had it built to my specs. Price was great and looks mean. I think with the only the front hoop weighed maybe 90 lbs, which is less than others.

#10 · (Edited)
I'd stay away from TAG, I've heard nothing but bad things from them, i'd go RLC, way cheaper and everyone seems to love them. I helped install a Hefty front bumper (ciso1969) on a first gen that i'm guessing was just made for him and it was a monster bumper, thing was awesome although since he(hefty) caters to second gen Xs it had to be tweaked a tad but it still fit nicely and was awesome.

ps. Where in philly are you located, i often travel to St. Joseph's university if your anywhere around there.

#11 ·
im outside of philly in conshohocken...its north of st joes by like 20 minutes...the main entering point for 276, 76, 476, etc...

#12 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Calmini, well maybe not. People are probably still on the whole unfounded "Calmini sucks" bandwagon.

Anyway, I think it's one of the best bumpers out there. Solid, quality built. It's the only bumper out there that has the winch exposed which allows you to mount taller winches and see your whole line as you winch in. Which with synthetic is a must.
Click me

It is also one of the cheaper bumpers out there as far as price.

I've ordered from them for years, never an issue. Great customer service and quality products.

Good luck in your decision.

Cheers,
JP

#13 ·
my thing is is that I dont like the gigantic loops that wrap around the light housing. I dont something about them doesnt sit right with me. The warns are sweet with the hard angle center "loop" if you will. All of the other look the same except the heft but those are more expensive than ARB and Shrock. So I dont know, if I could weld I would do it but i failed miserably before so it aint happening

#14 ·
my thing is is that I dont like the gigantic loops that wrap around the light housing. I dont something about them doesnt sit right with me. The warns are sweet with the hard angle center "loop" if you will. All of the other look the same except the heft but those are more expensive than ARB and Shrock. So I dont know, if I could weld I would do it but i failed miserably before so it aint happening

They make them without the headlight loops as well. :)

Cheers,
Josh

#15 ·
that doesnt look bad at all. Its beefy but not in the way

#17 ·
Look at RLCweldfab.com

And I say that because the nice thing with James is that you can have the bottom bumper made, it looks like this.

And then you can add anything you want to it

1 hoop

Or you can go two hoops, you can have them any style hoop you want, even like this

The build quality on these is crazy, as well as the fact that you can have James do whatever you want to the front. If you notice on drbandkgb's rig, the top of the bumper is open, same design aspect as the Calmini bumper.. Allowing for taller winches.

Ultimately, it is up to you what you want to

a. Spend on the Bumper
b. How long you want to wait.

RLC has a 3-4 week turn around time. Pay for a bumper, and have it sooner that you could ever imagine.

#19 ·
These bumpers are sweeter than tags though I will give you that!

Look at RLCweldfab.com

And I say that because the nice thing with James is that you can have the bottom bumper made, it looks like this.

And then you can add anything you want to it

1 hoop

Or you can go two hoops, you can have them any style hoop you want, even like this

The build quality on these is crazy, as well as the fact that you can have James do whatever you want to the front. If you notice on drbandkgb's rig, the top of the bumper is open, same design aspect as the Calmini bumper.. Allowing for taller winches.

Ultimately, it is up to you what you want to

a. Spend on the Bumper
b. How long you want to wait.

RLC has a 3-4 week turn around time. Pay for a bumper, and have it sooner that you could ever imagine.

#20 ·
same Q

I too would like to see more moderate options.

We are about to close on a '05 for my son's first vehicle. He won't be offroading, so doesn't need the winches and protection, but he would like the brush guard look.

The RLC Bottom that Roadwarrior posted looks OK.

Or something like this?

http://image46.webshots.com/46/0/97/41/2125097410027333187IBBaEe_ph.jpg

I did not intend on lifting, or at least not more than 2".

Can these be mounted on stock suspension?

Does the weight require changing suspension components even without a lift?

Of course I also like the looks of those with the foglamps in the lower grill. Can't have both.

#21 ·
doug494...I will let someone else chime in with more details on an 05...

but keep in mind an 05 xterra will be a 2nd generation and these bumpers we are talking about here are for the 1st generation (00-04). Make sure before you decide on something it is for 2nd gen xterras!

Also...it may be tempting to just keep the stock bumper on it and add a bolt on brush guard...but be forewarned, the bolt on brush guards will cause more damage if in a front end collision, as the tube bars will fold in on themselves and crunch the hood and grill and headlights. The tube bars on one of these winch bumpers on the other hand are solid armor and will protect your car more. Just an FYI

As far as lifting, you shouldn't need a lift or upgraded suspension to use a bumper like this...but maybe someone with a 2nd gen can chime in here with more details...

#25 ·
That is hilarious. I had a neighbor in columbus ga that had a nice looking double 3" tube bumper from a jeep on his Chevy Colorado and had it mounted with 2x4s and bolts instead of making a bracket.

Anyways one night drinking to much and he went to move his truck out of the way so other people can get out and go a tree caught between the bumper and the truck and ripped it right off. Then ran it over. It was hilarious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.