Nissan XTerra Forum banner

New Offroad Park in Alabama?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Drake 
#1 ·
It seems very possible this is going to happen. Almost 3,000 acre park with the support of the governor and head of conservation.

http://www.dailyhome.com/news/2009/dh-localnews-0208-ehodnett-9b07w0040.htm

There is also one nearing completion just south of Cullman, AL called Stony Lonesome which is over 1000 acres and complete with ATV and OHV trails, mountainbike trails and hiking trails.

http://www.stonylonesomeohv.us/

So let's see, here is what we have for parks in Alabama now that are OHV friendly and not just for ATV's:

Morris Mountain
Gray Rock
Mountainside
Stony Lonesome

Man I wish this list would keep getting bigger. For every park the trail nazi's shut down I hope another privately owned one pops up in it's place.

#4 ·
We have a few more parks than I listed but those are the only ones that allow full-size rigs or are capable of handling full-size rigs. There is another park that claims it's OHV accessible but it's really tight and really short. Not worth it IMO.

Morris Mountain is nasty. Body damage is inevitable.

Mountainside is small but has enough to play on for a few hours with a semi-stock rig. Mostly geared for the big boys.

Gray Rock is definitely for the big boys for the most part. Annual crawler competitions held every year there.

Stony Lonesome hasn't officially opened but my local club was invited down to test the trails and said it's pretty nice and caters to all vehicles pretty well.

And this new one hasn't been named yet but the CAOS have been running the trails in that area for a while and with it's location I'm going to say it is probably similar to Morris Mountain. It's currently public property I believe.

I remember seeing youtube vids of Paragon way back when and thought that was a really cool park. Such a shame.

I think I'm going to make Trout Unlimited my new Enemy #1. They seem to be at the forefront of all of the closures of our public lands because they are blaming US because they can't get fish to screw. I would like to see a table comparing tourist revenues generated by fisherman compared to off-roaders. I bet it's really lopsided in our favor if I had to guess.

#6 ·
Nah man, Prentice Cooper is easy stuff with the exception of the staircase and I did it bonestock. Sticking to the left side gives you an easier line and the steps aren't as tall as the right side. There is also a bypass trail to go around it if you don't feel comfortable with it.

There's actually quite a few in Tennessee but most aren't very welcoming to those of us that still care about our body panels. Summertown and Wooly's are two others in Tennessee. Wooly's is the park you will see Xtreme 4x4 testing their rigs out on.

But you're living next to the largest park in the southeast if not the U.S. Most parks I see average around 1500 to 2000 acres. Windrock/Coal Creek is 78,000 acres! And the best part is that it's privately owned so the trail nazi's can't touch it or do a damn thing about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.