Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Toyota 4Runner or Nissan Xterra?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Matt Dyer 
#1 ·
2002 Toyota 4Runner 4wd with 109,000 miles or 04 Nissan Xterra 2wd with 75,000 miles
They are about the same price

#5 ·
Go with 4R if you want low maintenance costs. I own both 04 X and 98 4R. The 98 4R has never given me a problem. The X needs constant repair.
Constant repair? Not at all if you keep up with the maintenance. Sounds like you just got a lemon. Yah there will be repairs with a 100K+ mile vehicle but it's by no means constant if you take care of it.

And yah 2wd vs 4wd...not exactly fair lol. If it were 4wd vs 4wd you'd get a lot more xterra answers on an XTERRA forum

#7 ·
I've had my 02 for almost 2 years now and the only "problem" I've had was a snapped timing belt. Which only happened cuz the idiots that sold me the car told me it was done, when it wasn't.

As stated above you can't compare a 2wd with a 4wd so I won't answer that question. But if you wanna compare a 4wd X and a 4wd 4runner, I'd honestly say it's a toss up.

My mom drove a 97 4runner for 15 years and she loved it. Interior wise I'd say go with the 4runner. Engine/power wise they're about the same. Suspension/offroad capability I'm gonna have to go with the X (easier/cheaper to lift, better suited off road.) 4runner wins for on-road manners. Reliability wise I'd have to go with the X (3rd gen 4runners are known for headgasket issues, they both have timing belts that need to be changed, X's can handle overheating better.)

So in the end I think it all comes down to price, and the X wins hands down in that category everytime.

#8 ·
4 runner since and only because its 4x4. I bash my x all the time. Only problem i have had is stupid things like tps and the constant battle until i figured out why you dont touch the idle screw. My friend had 2 4 runners one with the v6 close to the same year and the tranny went out at 180k and the headgasket blew on it. The 4cyl you couldnt kill. Although it was the most gutless vehicle ive ever rode in. Now the x either i got a very good one i dont know but with my driving ive killed my old ram at 188k miles by blowing the tranny up. Than traded it for my x. And me coming from dodge i didnt want it but it was stupid if i didnt cause he offered it even trade. And you know to this very day at 180k that damn thing is solid as a rock and its constantly beat on. But i also take care of stuff maitnence wise way ahead of time.

#9 ·
Apples to apples (4wd to 4wd) you will get a lot lower mileage Nissan than a Toyota at a given price. That's why I have a Nissan ha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.