Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Stupid mods and repairs

68K views 118 replies 70 participants last post by  Blackberry 
#1 ·
Before arriving at the forums, I made quite a few stupid purchases and paid for some retarted repairs. Let's hear your story. Here's mine:

First-K @ N FIPK- did this 2 days after I got the X. Why was it stupid, because I was just going off of the brand and not going with the concept. I just got a K @ N HAI(hot air intake)

$70 oil change-Paid Speedee this price duromg the winter on top of paying $30+ for oil and $12 for the filter

Tornado- I bought 2 of these to "increase the power"

Throttle body spacer-yeah.....I got one...(had one)

entire Gibson exhaust system. Basically I bought the entire system and all that I should have got was a muffler- then I spent $120 for them to weld it on. Now I have a chrome tip that needs some rock rash

AC Body lift-spent the $200 and used hardly any of it

Calmini SL- besides not buying their shocks. this was a stupid purchase. I bought the entire thing, not knowing that a 3" SL could just be accomplished with UCA's, shackles. and an AAL, and I would have done without the sway extensions and the bumpstop extensions

As far as repairs go-I had a shop fix a wheel bearing using 2 screwdrivers for $40.

I paid $50 for an alignment which brought me way down after the SL and then I lifted it back up again

I paid the Stealership $60 to find out what an engine code was when I could have taken it to your local auto store. Nissan wanted $375 to replace a Throttle body position sensor. I googled it and found it for $13 in Canada + $37 shipping. Then I paid a mechanic $50 to install it because "it had to go in at a certain angle". When I got the truck back, The guy just butt connected 2 wires together and that was it. Didn't even need the part. Ever since then, I just get sick everytime I talk to a Nissan tech at my local dealer. Allen (cyclemut) is the only tech I trust now.

So let's hear your wasted money stories.....

See less See more
Reactions: Slayerino
#53 ·
I agree with Xterra Red, I do not loke it. It is not a stupid mod (since stupid is your own opinion) officially, but in my book it looks dumb

#54 · (Edited)
And that looks nothing like bigdogs rig.

#56 ·
My x started burning oil at 62k not a little but like 3.5q in 50 miles. Then I was driving it home from work the evening after it started to drink oil. My engine got really loud and then I felt a booom under my feet. Good bye driverside cat. Took it to a shop, they told me first thing first we have to replace the cat for emissions. (love Seattle).

So I was younger and dumb, ok lets do it. Bolth cats and install $500 plus. I whent to pick up my x and the new cats were hangin about three inches below my frame. Thats how they are suposed to be. My ass. So I came back the next day they were up and looked right at a glance. Took the x home crawled under to see what 500 dollars looked like. It looked like crap. White puddy on all the welds, passanger side tube was kinked almost in half over the cross member, not bent kinked cuttin off over half my flow. So back to the dorks shop. He told me the white stuff was to protect from rust.hahaha right! and the kink was normal. So I informed the genius manager that I was stopping payment on my credit card till he fixed it. He had my x on a car lift so I could show him the problem, he then jacked it up about 8 ft in the air and said he was keepin it till the payment went through. This story goes on and on and on. I got a 40 series flowmaster for free. not installed. The cat problem got a bandaid. And my x had a blown piston ring, 2000 miles after the factory warranty. sorry for being long winded, it felt good to get it out!!!!lol... oh and I got a tbs, damn 100 plus bucks down the drain.

#59 ·
Calmini AAL 2 leafs and labour ran for 350.00

Hardly saw a difference..then one broke..or somethig..I don't recall the problem..But one was damaged..maybe about a year or so later..
Then I went to a big truck shop..coolest guys I ever met..Installed me two leafs on either side..leveled it perfect and charged me something like $80.00 bucks for it all..
I had $150.00 or so in my hand ready to pay and then put some money back in pocket...I couldn't believe it..
Truck is sitting awesome ever since..

$700.00 plus to change the damn fn knock sensor...and the engine light STILL is on..I did get better mileage..but this SC unit is just fd-up all together..

And of course the stealership repairs that always seem for some reason or other...ALWAYS seem to end up costing more than what they quoted you....bastards.

#60 ·
When I first got my X, the driver side running board was bent so I spent a while looking on Craigslist for a new one. Ended up paying $100 for a used set... I should have known when the guy said "I took them off as soon as I got it..." I'll probably take them off when I do my PML, it's a sunk cost at this point anyway...

#62 · (Edited)
repairs...
transmission rebuild: 400 some dollars
Alternator: some rediculous price
Starter: some rediculous price
Right rotor getting destroyed and having both rotors and calipers replaced: about 400 dollars
Busted my taillight a couple weeks ago, getting new LED ones..: about 120
and probably other crap i missed

#63 ·
some say the brushguard is bad, but it saved my front end and bent the bottom bar on the guard instead of breaking my bumper. so... kiss my ass

#64 ·
About 2yrs ago, I cut a rectangular opening in my air dam and then bolted plexi glass to it so that I could see out of my sunroof.

It severely weekend my air dam which later broke in half after going through a local car wash.

I have since bought a new air dam for way more then I thought it would cost me from the stealership.

Soooo, I'm the only idiot that did this?

:lutscher-big:

#68 ·
we paid Express 3 different times to fix problems the started.
We went to have the timer belt replaced and the whole oil system flushed and repaired (needed new filter and bearings).
they did that. then the mechanic said "oh yeah, your truck was idling "high" at about 1000-1200 rpm. so i took out your pulleys and put em back in, reoriented em ya know, and now she runs great and a lil' at 400 rpm."

oh my dad thought it was great. I was pissed off.
remember, I have an automatic transmission ok?
well, after that repair, we get half a mile down the road and the transmission STALLED on its own at a red light.
it went straight back.

#69 ·
i needed a fusable link. it was on the 95 pathfinder i had at the time. i bought it brand new back in 95. at the time of this story it's 2004. i told the stealership that i needed a fusable link. the path kept shutting down. they call me tell me i need to pay for the parts. 381 dollars before they can complete the repairs. so i pay for the repairs. thinking i will only need to pay for about 15 mins of labor. i pick up the path i pay an additional 155 dollars for the labor. what do i know. up unitl this point i didnt even know what a fusable link was. so for approximatle 600 dollars i got a neg cable, a pos cable and a new battery installed. the fusable link never fixed. man i was pissed.

#72 ·
well i paid $1.50 for one of those xmas tree shaped, 'car freshners'.
Hangs off the rear view mirror.
Well i was ripped off big time as it smells like the local tom cat came in and sprayed.
Never again my friends. Never again.

lmao!

#74 ·
I havent had any stupid mods or ridiculous charges on the X because i learned from my previous car. I learned everything about the X on this forum before i made my purchase. With my previous car, i payed the STEALERSHIP 2800 to do a timing belt and 90k maintenence. Yes, $2,800. ALl they did was destroy everything in my car.

I ended up redoing everything including having to replace my turbos because their coolant lines were clogged with RTV from the water pump crap job they did. It never went to them again. This was a 300zx btw. That car will force you to become a mechanic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.