Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Stupid mods and repairs

68K views 118 replies 70 participants last post by  Blackberry 
#1 ·
Before arriving at the forums, I made quite a few stupid purchases and paid for some retarted repairs. Let's hear your story. Here's mine:

First-K @ N FIPK- did this 2 days after I got the X. Why was it stupid, because I was just going off of the brand and not going with the concept. I just got a K @ N HAI(hot air intake)

$70 oil change-Paid Speedee this price duromg the winter on top of paying $30+ for oil and $12 for the filter

Tornado- I bought 2 of these to "increase the power"

Throttle body spacer-yeah.....I got one...(had one)

entire Gibson exhaust system. Basically I bought the entire system and all that I should have got was a muffler- then I spent $120 for them to weld it on. Now I have a chrome tip that needs some rock rash

AC Body lift-spent the $200 and used hardly any of it

Calmini SL- besides not buying their shocks. this was a stupid purchase. I bought the entire thing, not knowing that a 3" SL could just be accomplished with UCA's, shackles. and an AAL, and I would have done without the sway extensions and the bumpstop extensions

As far as repairs go-I had a shop fix a wheel bearing using 2 screwdrivers for $40.

I paid $50 for an alignment which brought me way down after the SL and then I lifted it back up again

I paid the Stealership $60 to find out what an engine code was when I could have taken it to your local auto store. Nissan wanted $375 to replace a Throttle body position sensor. I googled it and found it for $13 in Canada + $37 shipping. Then I paid a mechanic $50 to install it because "it had to go in at a certain angle". When I got the truck back, The guy just butt connected 2 wires together and that was it. Didn't even need the part. Ever since then, I just get sick everytime I talk to a Nissan tech at my local dealer. Allen (cyclemut) is the only tech I trust now.

So let's hear your wasted money stories.....

See less See more
Reactions: Slayerino
#3 ·
massive vacuum leak in my weapon-R "short ram intake"
was running super lean for about 4 months, then a cat failed
nissan charged me $700 to replace all the stock parts to the intake(since i had accidentally run over all my stock shiz in the garage)
and replace the cat and do my inspection(2months over due) which they didnt even do
what they did do was break my fan shroud so it sat on the power steering line under it and caused all my PS fluid to drain in my driveway
then preceded to tell me they didnt do it and i had to pay fo rthe repairs and the tow
at which point i hung up the phone, drove up to the dealer got in the service reps face and said "tell me to my face your boys in the shop didnt break it while replacing the intake, and keep in mind that there was not a speck of ps fliud leaking out of my truck til i got it home from yall and my ps resevoir is now empty"

i paid for nothing, lol
that was the last time i had anything done at the stealership

#112 ·
infuriating—🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥❤‍🔥❤‍🔥🧨🧨
I live in Florida now, but I had the most amazing and trust worth mechanic in Boise, Idaho. The guy was a real gem and I never had to question his charges or reasons. I wish for more mechanics with his integrity.
Now here in Florida, I almost think there is an unspoken rule that to be a mechanic you must be totally shady and non trustworthy.
The only good mechanic I have met here works on boat engines.

#4 ·
Fortunately for me, buying my X and joining forums went hand in hand so I have been able to avoid a lot of this. BUT... I have come very close to pulling the trigger on some stupid purchases and things like that but then found on the forums where things I thought were awesome or great... really weren't all they were hyped up to be (t.b. spacer for one thing).

And as for mods... well actually I didn't have any mods planned when I bought my X. I was happy with it the way it was bonestock. Then all you guys stepped in and now it's well on it's way to looking like something I stole from the set of "Mad Max"! (At least that's how my buddy put it) My friends say if it doesn't look that way by year's end, they are going to be really disappointed in me. hahahaha

#6 ·
no
all it does is make a lil extra noise
so if you like the noise, leave it, it isnt hurting anything, its just a waste of money

and Welcome to clubX!!

#7 ·
Thanks for the welcome.. I have a 2000 X which i've had for over a year. I can't figure out why i have a shitty idle. When I installed my Throttle Body spacer and intake i have a shitty(low) idle and if i let it idle for 5 minutes it kicks a knock sensor code and multi misfire code. Any suggestions?

#8 ·
did you put everything on yourself?
how many miles does it have?

#10 ·
and it started after the intall?
if thats the case, id take it out and replace the stock stuff and see if it changes

#12 ·
i installed it last june. i still have all of the old intake. I also replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs. Gibson exhaust. The idle is still around 550 rpms when it warms up. when i first start it up it runs great than the low idle starts. when i am driving it runs great. could the distrubitor be the problem or a faulty MAF sensor.

#13 ·
ok, from this point on all of my derogatory dealership statements exclude aretelio and his dealership and 90% of all small "middle of nowhere" dealerships

all in good fun bro
plus its a habit ill have to work on breaking:)

#14 ·
TrailRider said:
i installed it last june. i still have all of the old intake. I also replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs. Gibson exhaust. The idle is still around 550 rpms when it warms up. when i first start it up it runs great than the low idle starts. when i am driving it runs great. could the distrubitor be the problem or a faulty MAF sensor.
common causes for low idle are
BAD ECU
MAF sensor
Vaccum hoses broken/not connected
Adjustment of throttle position sensor.. or bolt

could be these, could be the intake

where you start is up to you

#16 ·
no prob
happy to help

#17 ·
Stupid mod leading to repairs count?

Letting James work on your rig when he isn't completely focused. I think I have replaced at least 3 bolts thus far from his action. There are some broken clips in the back, but I don't care.

AND!!!!!! I wouldn't let anyone else touch my vehicle other than James either! Great source of knowledge and always willing to lend a hand if he can!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
i am doing pretty good, i think my main problem is tearing into a small project and turning it into a big one.. for example i took off my door panels to replace the speakers, i though hey while they are out I should do neoprene inserts where the fabric is to match my seat covers, then I though hell lets just do the body lift and take out some more interior, then i got to hell the interior is our its time to run the power wires for my amp, then i was like hell it woulnt be hard to add in a CB now... Now I am sitting here STILL with a half assembled interior, I doubt I will get it done any time soon haha...

#20 ·
How about my OOOga horn I just bought.
Does this count as a stupid purchase.

hopefully I dont catch anything on fire lol

#21 ·
spent about $50 on lots of different electrical connections to use when i did my doors off mod...4 months and plenty of aggravation later, my doors are almost back to normal, non removable

spent well over $100 on ebay for decals

$170 for a new headunit when my old (nicer ) one could have been repaired for about $10 for one part ,had i not punched it very hard in the faeceplate rendering it inoperable

$100 on a set of 1.5" wheel spacers...granted, the set of 4 is worth more than $100, i will probably just end up getting wider tires that stick out further anyway, or ill just get new rims when i go to 35's

about $400 that i spent on replacement parts for the front end when i smashed the front end into a divider, should just bought the bare essentials(fender and corner light) and saved the money from the new bumpers, AC condenser fan(that actually still worked, just loudly), and a few other bits, and used the money on actual mods

$25 for an air horn setup that i never really wired up properly, ended up giving it to a friend for a round of beers at the bar

$50 for a raingler mini x-net....not that it was stupid, i just have never used it in the 2 years i've had it....pretty dumb purchase

$30 for that inclinometer on 4x4parts.com, ended up breaking it while trying to change the backlight bulb inside it

damn, i've wasted a lot of money on this friggin truck

#22 ·
How about my OOOga horn I just bought.
Does this count as a stupid purchase.

hopefully I dont catch anything on fire lol
It only counts if it makes you say DAMN!!!!! later

#23 ·
Many people may think the brush guard I have is a bad MOD purchase, but it has saved me a few times now and it has paid for itself in full.

I think the biggest MOD mistake I've done is buying a longer rear shackle to give my rig the extra lift...

Over the couple months I had it on, the rear end started to sag...nothing to do with the quality of the shackle, but I should have expected it.

I should have bought the Deaver pack to begin with and save me the time, money and hassle.

#24 ·
Many people may think the brush guard I have is a bad MOD purchase, but it has saved me a few times now and it has paid for itself in full.

I think the biggest MOD mistake I've done is buying a longer rear shackle to give my rig the extra lift...

Over the couple months I had it on, the rear end started to sag...nothing to do with the quality of the shackle, but I should have expected it.

I should have bought the Deaver pack to begin with and save me the time, money and hassle.
unless your into seriuos trails wouldnt the basic brush guard be better than the extremley heavy and bulky uber strong shrokworks bumber. i mean i use mine as a daily driver along with mudding, so wouldnt that wieght affect mpg's and performance

#25 ·
hmm not too much things done to my x that i regret so far...except when i bought new mud tires i had to pay 20 dolla for each tire they installed when i couldve went to my buddies discount tire he works at and done for a 12pack of heinekens. actually jsut got lazy and didnt wanna carry the tires in my car cuz i had my son with me so i just told htem to slap em on. i pay dearly for being lazy :(

#26 ·
unless your into seriuos trails wouldnt the basic brush guard be better than the extremley heavy and bulky uber strong shrokworks bumber. i mean i use mine as a daily driver along with mudding, so wouldnt that wieght affect mpg's and performance
Wouldn't be too bad because you'll be taking off a lot of material from the front of the X to put on the Shrock...but it will be heavier.

Many people say that a brush guard is a bad purchase because it can multiply the amount of front end damage in a collision. The tubing tends to fold in on itself. Also, the angle of approach is not as good as the shrock.

On the other hand, for people like me who do not do "hardcore" off roading, a shrock is overkill. I use mine for a DH shuttle/Daily driver and all I need the brush guard for is to push tall brush, down trees and protect the front from unforeseen damage.

I will stick to this statement, though many may disagree:

You alone know what you "need"...don't buy something because it "looks" cool or because others are getting it...

Consider the following:

a) What do you use your rig for? Ex. A shrock will be a waste of money for a rig that will never see places like Moab
b) A daily driver is different than a trail rig
c) Some mods are illegal for street use (check your local law)

Note: that whether you get the shrock or the brush guard, you will lose MPG and your front end will feel heavier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.