Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Nissan VIN decoder

39K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kms1990 
#1 ·
I was not able to find a VIN decoder here, so thought I would post it. sorry if I missed it somewhere, as Xterra is new to me.
Itsme
Of course 8 is cut off, but it is Xterra. I didn't know how to fix it.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
smod was a defect in the radiator cooling sections that likely have little to do with location of manufacture, calsonic which made the radiator from nissan fixed the issue after nissan found it and told them what to fix.

#6 · (Edited)
VINs in the usa are mostly universal 1st letter or number is the country code 1,2,3,5 are north america 1 and 5 are usa 2 is canada 3 is mexico j is japan k is korea etc. 8th is usually the engine code, except toyota they use 5th digit 2nd and 3rd digit are manufacturer code 5th 6th 7th and 8th are brand, model, engine, and trim info (can be interchanged between these digits somewhat, see above most use the 8th as engine code but toyota uses the 5th one) 9th is a security digit 10th is the year 11th is the plant code the resta re the numerically assigned digits as they are made and can go all 0's and a 1 to all 9's or vary depending on trim/engine and plant code preceding them

another good decoder for any make and model in the usa: https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php

#7 · (Edited)
In fact, you can use any VIN decoder and find out the same info, am I right? I remember once buying car parts online. But I made a mistake not looking to the vin code decoding to know the exact model I needed to buy for (it wasn't my car). Well, this must be a lesson for such people like me! You should always look for the info about the car's exact model and the parts that you want to buy. Google it, or ask on the forums. And what is even better is to look for the vin code and use a vin decoder, for example, Vingurus, to find out the car's needed info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.