Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2002 SC totaled...worth buying back?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mikeman1985 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My '02 SC w/152K miles was totaled. I can buy it back from my insurance company, and I'm looking for advice as to whether it's worth doing so.

I don't have the space to store it, and I'm not inclined to fix it myself. It's more a question of whether it's worth the trouble to grab a few parts to flip on eBay/CL, and take the rest to a salvage yard.

The damage was all on the front end, and it was in pretty good shape prior to the accident. Wheels and tires are in great shape. And while the radiator is pushed back, the supercharger seems untouched.

Alternatively, if someone here wants to buy it for parts I'm game.

http://imgur.com/a/mB8aw

Thanks for the input!

#2 ·
What do they want for it? I doubt grabbing a few parts to sell will make it worth buying back and I wouldn't expect a salvage yard to give you much more than it costs you to tow it there. Especially if it's been cherry picked of the easier to grab and higher value items. Now, if they only wanted $500 you might make a call to a towing company and a salvage yard just to see what's up. They may not even want to deal with it if it's missing wheels, for instance.

#3 ·
What City/State you located? That seems like not too bad a fix as long as the frame rails didn't get tweaked.

I am curious of the insurance agreed value and the buyback value if you don't mind sharing in case I find myself in a similar situation with an insurance company in the future.

#6 ·
Dang, if it were me I would buyback in a heartbeat. I think even as is you could easily double your money listing on Craigslist. Good luck whichever route you pick

#7 ·
I just recently faced the same thing. I have a thread on here about it, here's the link you can read bout it if you like: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157537

In the end I decided I had to walk away since, like you, I didn't have the space to store it. I had the ability to fix mine, but no shop space, and I rent and can't store it at my home.

Basically if you don't plan to fix it yourself, and you don't have space to store it to salvage parts yourself, you're probably best off to let it go. It sucks. Take the payout and get into something else. In my case I put the settlement money from my '01 with some of my savings and bought a pretty sweet 2010 Off-Road to replace it.

Since someone had asked about insurance values, the insurance settlement on mine was $5,250 and the buy back quote was $428.00.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.