Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Looking to offroad my X

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  smason54321 
#1 ·
Its a 2004 totally stock at 220k
MY issue right now its on stock rims with snow tires. however....... the summer tires and rims are shot, tires need to be replaced.
However I'd like to put some larger tires on but to do that i"d need to do a lift I assume
What can assume cost for the lift will be? here is a link for a 2" lift
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2191

then I'd need new rims to hold larger tires- cost?
I'd assume 500 ish for all terrain Ta KO2

Anything I'd have to budget for? or keep in mind?
I'm not looking for a full offroad rig jsut somethign that could do more than stocker runs and stil be driver for runs up to ski and camping....

I'd apreaciate any links if possible

#5 ·
I just went with General Grabber AT2s and didn't want to spend the money on a lift so I got 31.5". I got 4 tires put on and an alignment for about $800. I think they run around $120/tire if you can put them on yourself. For being a more budget friendly version of the KO2's, I've been really impressed with how much grip I've been getting out of the Generals. Honestly, unless you're planning on doing something more aggressive than the average off-roader, this mostly stock combination will get you most of the places you want to go.

That's not to say that I don't have aspirations of someday lifting/upgrading my suspension on my X to fit bigger tires; it's just tough to justify putting a couple grand into a vehicle at this point. Two years from now? Who knows.

#6 · (Edited)
Hope to hear from the serious off-roaders in the NE. I haven't been to any off-road parks and only been on dirt trails here and there and hauling loaded trailers in/out/around of my property. So for that my stock 08 X is fine. Yes I'm in awe seeing where fellow Xterras are wheeling out west but there's nothing nearly like that I heard of in the NE.

I did scrape my front transfer case on a trail so I installed a Shrockworks skid plate under the engine. But that's it.

#7 ·
Hope to hear from the serious off-roaders in the NE. I haven't been to any off-road parks and only been on dirt trails here and there and hauling loaded trailers in/out/around of my property. So for that my stock 08 X is fine. Yes I'm in awe seeing where fellow Xterras are wheeling out west but there's nothing nearly like that I heard of in the NE.

I did scrape my front transfer case on a trail so I installed a Shrockworks skid plate under the engine. But that's it.
Plenty of info on NE wheeling can be found here. Shoot man a lot of the OG Xterra offroad guys are located on the NE. ;)

#8 · (Edited)

Go to http://www.nexterra.org/nexterra/
These folks have an off-road run almost every month (there is one next weekend).

If you're new to off-roading you want to attend the East Coast Xterra Challenge in July.

It is THE Nissan Xterra event. To my knowledge he only Nissan Xterra (Xterra exclusive) event anywhere at any time still in existence.

Since its inception ECXC is the only event that guarantees me the ability to see other modified Xterra while avoiding the doubt, scorn and ridicule I normally endure from non-Xterra folk.

It is the event where I can interact with the most folks that build up and wheel a truck like mine with parts and skill that relate to my truck.

It has a raffle that is sponsored by companies that are soliciting me with gear and service aimed at my Xterra.

It has welcoming organizers, volunteers and attendees that are willing to teach me something new about my truck and taking it off-road. Folks that will help me if I get in trouble and make an effort making sure I have a good time.

I've learned on this board and on the trail that there is something about the Nissan Xterra that brings out the best in folks. Of course there are exceptions but trust me when I tell you that even the worst of them are better at welcoming and helping new people than the majority of the people I meet on the trail outside of this community.

I can go wheeling with my truck at Rausch with other makes any weekend of the year and do so on occasion. Why deal with the crowds of people who don't care for me or know about my truck?

Not for nothing, if you own, wheel, want to wheel or are even just curious about wheeling a Nissan Xterra and live in the Northeast you owe yourself the good time that is ECXC17.

Even if you can only come wheel only Saturday, partake in the BBQ, raffle and get an event shirt the trip would be worth the time and $35 event fee.

http://ecxc.nexterra.org/index.php

#10 ·
Yeah, you’d think it wouldn’t be so hard to do…
I’m not one of the folks who started the thing 17 years ago or am I in charge of it now but I help the folks who are. It’s a pita to do; line up sponsors, the venue, food, folks to lead groups, blah, blah…
Every year a few non-Xterra folk get pissed off they are not welcome or Xterra folk can’t understand why they can’t bring their non-Xterra wheeling buddy to the event.
For an Xterra owner it’s the best because it’s for Xterra owners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.