Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Stupid mods and repairs

68K views 118 replies 70 participants last post by  Blackberry 
#1 ·
Before arriving at the forums, I made quite a few stupid purchases and paid for some retarted repairs. Let's hear your story. Here's mine:

First-K @ N FIPK- did this 2 days after I got the X. Why was it stupid, because I was just going off of the brand and not going with the concept. I just got a K @ N HAI(hot air intake)

$70 oil change-Paid Speedee this price duromg the winter on top of paying $30+ for oil and $12 for the filter

Tornado- I bought 2 of these to "increase the power"

Throttle body spacer-yeah.....I got one...(had one)

entire Gibson exhaust system. Basically I bought the entire system and all that I should have got was a muffler- then I spent $120 for them to weld it on. Now I have a chrome tip that needs some rock rash

AC Body lift-spent the $200 and used hardly any of it

Calmini SL- besides not buying their shocks. this was a stupid purchase. I bought the entire thing, not knowing that a 3" SL could just be accomplished with UCA's, shackles. and an AAL, and I would have done without the sway extensions and the bumpstop extensions

As far as repairs go-I had a shop fix a wheel bearing using 2 screwdrivers for $40.

I paid $50 for an alignment which brought me way down after the SL and then I lifted it back up again

I paid the Stealership $60 to find out what an engine code was when I could have taken it to your local auto store. Nissan wanted $375 to replace a Throttle body position sensor. I googled it and found it for $13 in Canada + $37 shipping. Then I paid a mechanic $50 to install it because "it had to go in at a certain angle". When I got the truck back, The guy just butt connected 2 wires together and that was it. Didn't even need the part. Ever since then, I just get sick everytime I talk to a Nissan tech at my local dealer. Allen (cyclemut) is the only tech I trust now.

So let's hear your wasted money stories.....

See less See more
Reactions: Slayerino
#102 · (Edited)
Likewise, if you want to throw on steel bumpers with swingarms, full-size spare tires, water, fuel, and tires up to your chest, and 800 pounds of gear, that you need to run through 8 feet of mud and climb cliffs with, you're going to need something with 500 hp minimum that can carry that all day long like its nothing..

Taking it on or off when needed is not helping much.. It's not about mpg, its about not breaking your drive train or wearing down your poor over-taxed vehicle

#103 ·
This reminds me of something my IT friend told me about a while ago - which is the ID-10-T code for people who are absolutely bonkers when it comes to fixing their computers. Granted of course it's much harder to figure out a fine piece of engineering like a car, it helps to know the basic fixes for certain car problems and I'm grateful for this forum for that!

#104 ·
This reminds me of something my IT friend told me about a while ago - which is the ID-10-T code for people who are absolutely bonkers when it comes to fixing their computers. Granted of course it's much harder to figure out a fine piece of engineering like a car, it helps to know the basic fixes for certain car problems and I'm grateful for this forum for that!
im in IT trust me we get alot of those codes, like people not understanding a cord has 2 ends :eek: they check one end for a loose plug but not the other, one day i had to drive 13 miles to one of my sites because they couldnt figure out how to unplug the cable box and reset it even when i walked them through it.

#113 ·
Well, this is my first X and I've only had it about six weeks. (2009 with X trim) But...I have been doing Nissans since the early 80's, so I did most of my dumb spending years ago. First thing I learned was that all stealerships got that name for a reason. Years ago, I almost got arrested at a Toyota dealership in Auburn, WA...and this is why:

I went in there to buy a clutch switch for a 79 Toyota truck. In 1985 I think. It's just a tiny relay about one-third the size of a pack of cigarettes. Simple two prong relay, right? Guy behind the counter tells me it is $75, which is a lot of money for a relay and even MORE back in 1985. When the parts guy looks away, I lean over the counter and see his parts list book with the prices THEY pay for some parts. It says $7 for the relay. Guy catches me looking. Says, "Don't do that..."

I tell him: "You know, when people want to rob me, they usually have to pack a gun, because I don't just sit there and take it, you know. I don't just hand it over for nothing."
This guy gets a funny look. Can't figure out what I'm telling him. When he figures it out, he says "You better leave now before I call the cops."
On the way out, I tell the other customers in line, "You guys better have fat wallets or forget it. This place is a ripoff..."

I went to the wrecking yard and got the relay for a buck.

Haven't had this X long enough to spend stooopid money on it yet. But eventually I'm sure I will.

#114 ·
First thing I learned was that all stealerships got that name for a reason.
I work for the dealership and lend my resources and experience to people without asking anything in return. The people I work with are good people that deserve respect. The requirements of operating this type of business are far past the understanding of someone who prides themself in harassing strangers

I went to the wrecking yard and got the relay for a buck.
Too bad the junkyard doesn’t build and sell cars.
I take these attacks personally and if these profiles you’re creating were based on race or religion and not based on where you work, then this would literally be a hate crime.

#116 · (Edited)
Pointing out "facts" is one thing. Demeaning all people who work at a dealership as working at a "stealership" is the same as saying that all owners of 4WD 2009 Xterras are idiots. It might apply to a few, but not to all.

I work for the dealership and lend my resources and experience to people without asking anything in return. The people I work with are good people that deserve respect. The requirements of operating this type of business are far past the understanding of someone who prides themself in harassing strangers

Too bad the junkyard doesn’t build and sell cars.
I take these attacks personally and if these profiles you’re creating were based on race or religion and not based on where you work, then this would literally be a hate crime.
I agree. If the only difference was talking about a person's race or religion vs taking a swipe at every dealership out there, then it could be construed as a hate crime.

The overall take-away is to realize how foolish it is to assert that "all members of [insert group] are [insert prejudicial description]."

Hateful whites say that all blacks are [...]

Hateful blacks call all whites [...]

All Russians are [...]

All Jews are [...]

It takes time to realize what you're saying, and then to determine to improve. Your statements above leave some room for that.

#118 ·
I'm not picking on ALL employees at ALL dealerships. Employees don't set policy on parts markups or repair rates per hour. That is done by the owner of the dealership. But dealerships HAVE gotten a bad rep for overcharging on parts, as well as labor.

Hey, I know. I was in the moving-the-iron business for a few years. I've seen how it goes. https://www.quora.com/As-a-car-deal...car-they-could-afford/answer/Robert-Blevins-2

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.