Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Transmission issues need help asap.

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Tenzen 
#1 · (Edited)
So I finally got things back on track and started to notice on my way home that when going into o/d it rumbles and when disengaging when passing someone it will rumble. Took it to the garage today they pulled the stick and said it smells burnt. It was brown too and it had bubbles in it but from what I was told it was changed at the dealer years ago and there is no dye in it or so I was told was that a load of bogus?

Well problem is I was going to get it changed and they turned me down because they cant do a flush on them when the fluid looks bad. What will happen if I do it somewhere else anyway? Id like to keep this x as a mud truck but right now I'm working a part time job and am trying to go into tech school but I cant have it breaking down on me. So worst case scenario for me is to sell it which would suck about a good 40% of my money had went into it as well as birthday gifts for it etc. I have 3 ideas. 1 being to buy a junked v6 xterra same year etc and swap everything over and make it a manual which I know is hard. Flywheel,harness,computer,and probably gauges would have to be swapped. 2 being to get it flushed and hope for the best. Or 3 sell it as my down payment for a used titan 4x4 or 04+ xterra 4x4.

Its a 2000 auto v6 4x4 173k miles on it. Shifts fine at times a little sloppy but no slipping and if it is would be unnoticeable and even when wot shifts firm.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well no help but if your reading this I did a drain and fill and will do another in a month the fluid was brownish black definitely old and had a burnt smell but not too bad my old ram with a 46re had it worst but it burned up. I used Valvoline full synthetic it said for use in matic d k s and so on so I used it and the rumble is gone all the harsh shifts are gone and shifts like a new machine even tried it at wot and firm smooth shifts all throughout it. Figured I would take the risk cause i wanted to keep it.

#3 ·
The drain/fill doesn't get it all, maybe 1/3 - 2/3 or so at a time, but, often its enough to "fix the problem".

There's tranny cleaner you can dump in there too to help it along.

Sometimes, some crud will clog, and it will look like it got worse, but, often simply repeating the drain fill will unclog it....which is exactly why your drain and fill worked this time.

>:D

#4 ·
Yeah gonna repeat it in a month bout 1k miles a month I do so sounds about right to me. Figured if the drain and fill like the mechanics told me would ruin it I wouldn't cheap out on the fluid but I will drain and fill next month and repeat once a year for now on. Saving for a car taking this off the road and will be my wheeler already got d44s to sas and the hubs for them.

#7 ·
Community college for either i.t or gonna try for a mechanic and would try and get ase certified. I understand how things work very well i.e a transmission an engine I know what everything does and how it works very well. But when it comes to what will happen if I do this or this I have no idea.

#8 ·
Well.. You want to be a mechanic for a living? That's miserable.. Especially in cold weather..

You really don't need school for that.. You can walk into a mechanic shop and ask for a job learning..

IT is a broad term.. Most if it is definitely not enjoyable..

You should aim to be an Engineer.. Go for a Bachelor.. Or join the Navy for the education you want.

Personally, if I was only doing 2 years of school, I'd be a medical assistant, dental assistant, orchiropractic assistant. Even if you have a 4 year degree you'll still have to do those 2 years..

And the salary is way better than a mechanic and they're high demand jobs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.