Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2003 xterra shackles

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  dejablue 
#1 ·
Looking for a little help, as I've gotten myself into a bind. I had a broken leaf spring on the passenger side, and I ordered 2 new springs. Ive got the passenger spring in successfully, but the driver side is giving me a lot of trouble.

At the rear of the vehicle there is a shackle or hanger that the spring is mounted to. I did everything I could to get the damn bolt out and ended up cutting it out as a last resort so I could put the new spring in. Problem is I've done a fair amount of damage to the rear shackle, looking for a new one. I cannot find one that is oem, only for the pml, which I'm not looking to do, want to keep stock hight.

Does anyone know where I can get a new standard shackle? Or even a used one? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Thanks!

2003 Xterra SE

#6 ·
Looking for a little help, as I've gotten myself into a bind. I had a broken leaf spring on the passenger side, and I ordered 2 new springs. Ive got the passenger spring in successfully, but the driver side is giving me a lot of trouble.

At the rear of the vehicle there is a shackle or hanger that the spring is mounted to.

I did everything I could to get the damn bolt out and ended up cutting it out as a last resort so I could put the new spring in. Problem is I've done a fair amount of damage to the rear shackle, looking for a new one.

I cannot find one that is oem, only for the pml, which I'm not looking to do, want to keep stock hight.

Does anyone know where I can get a new standard shackle? Or even a used one? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Thanks!

2003 Xterra SE

I noticed you had trouble "Getting the bolt out"

The reason is that it doesn't come out......look at this pic:

Notice the plate and bolts on one side are welded together....and you're just capturing the other plate with the nuts?

The trick is to take off the nuts, then bang the PLATE back to pull the shafts out of the Leaf pack end.

If you try to get the welded on BOLTS off the plate they're welded to, well, its just a lot harder.

>:D

When looking for OEM replacement shackles, 2000 - 2004 X's all use the same shackles, so one's for any of those years will work on yours too.

#9 ·
Its a little late for that !!!
We got to learn some where.
I wasn't going to rub in .
Look at the time he saved by not taking the top nut off.

LOL

I mostly put that info in so the NEXT newb reading it sees how the shackle is constructed, and avoids cutting it off thinking that's how to do it.

When I did mine for the first time back in ~ 2001, I had to find out after wasting a lot of PB Blaster on the damn "stuck bolts" ....that they were supposed to be stuck.

In my defense, I didn't break out the sawzall, I did notice the welded ends (After a good 5 minutes or so...) and then banged the plate.

On my Jeeps and other rigs with shackles...it was always two plates and two bolts...so the one plate with the attached bolts was a new one on me.

#10 ·
LOL

I mostly put that info in so the NEXT newb reading it sees how the shackle is constructed, and avoids cutting it off thinking that's how to do it.

When I did mine for the first time back in ~ 2001, I had to find out after wasting a lot of PB Blaster on the damn "stuck bolts" ....that they were supposed to be stuck.

In my defense, I didn't break out the sawzall, I did notice the welded ends (After a good 5 minutes or so...) and then banged the plate.

On my Jeeps and other rigs with shackles...it was always two plates and two bolts...so the one plate with the attached bolts was a new one on me.

I am to embarrassed to talk about my first encounter with a rear leave spring to young and to stupid to know !!:eek:

#13 ·
Well I don't doubt that,but the passenger side bottom bolt came out and bolted the spring into the bottom of the shackle, assumed the driver side was the same way
It probable broke when the spring broke or someone else was working on it before you . No harm the bolts were pitied and that would just tear up the new bushing a lot faster and now the job will be 100%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.