Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Need help choosing a clutch. VG33E 4X4

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  ryno9562 
#1 ·
Hey fellow X owners. I am due for a clutch on my 2003 XE 4x4 5spd and would like everybody's opinion on what clutches are available and what's good and what's junk. My X is my daily driver. Most of my driving is on the road and about 50/50 highway and city but I still look for any excuse I can to get it dirty. I also use it as a work horse too. I like to refer to my X as a mule. It's stubborn as hell but never lets me down. I do eventually plan on building or purchasing an off-road trailer to tow with it. my goal is to build it up for overland travel so a 3" lift, 265/75-16 and lockers are planned for future mods. It will eventually see more off-road trips in the future so any advice or opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
When I had my tranny rebuilt I told the guy I wanted the best clutch, whatever it costs. He said to go with Luk. Said you can't get better - they are OEM on a lot of vehicles and think about it, they go well over 100k regularly.

#3 ·
Hey there, my opinion, and with my opinion and $1.50 you can buy a pepsi. I'd go with a NAPA clutch kit. I've got an 03 Frontier 4x4 5 speed and that's what I put in mine. No problems, reasonable price and lifetime warranty on the new set. Mine has 155,000 miles and has had 6 trannys. So, this ain't my first rodeo. Also, just FYI. Stay away from Pro King transmissions. They are 100% junk! Good luck!!

#6 ·
Hey there, my opinion, and with my opinion and $1.50 you can buy a pepsi. I'd go with a NAPA clutch kit. I've got an 03 Frontier 4x4 5 speed and that's what I put in mine. No problems, reasonable price and lifetime warranty on the new set. Mine has 155,000 miles and has had 6 trannys. So, this ain't my first rodeo. Also, just FYI. Stay away from Pro King transmissions. They are 100% junk! Good luck!!
Now you got me craving a Pepsi lol! I'm gunna go get one hehe!

#9 ·
So anyways, back on topic. What about these " heavy duty" clutches. Are they beneficial or do you think they are not necessary for the use I have described above? BTW I don't rock crawl or or any extreme like that. Just typical trail riding back in the woods and stuff.

#10 ·
I don't use mine for anything heavy unless it's necessary. I haven't had any problems at all. I have pulled a compact tractor with accessories. 4 wheelers, mowers ya know stuff like that. They do offer a heavy duty set. I just went with the standard set. Another thing, if you look at your clutch disc compared to a new one. Yours will have more material than the replacement. I wanted to go back with a factory set but price difference was ridiculous.

#16 ·
I get a slight grinding during shifting in the higher gears sometimes and I noticed that it doesn't do it as bad if I operate the clutch pedal gently and smoothly. Its mainly 3-4 & 5-4. I'm assuming that the clutch is not releasing all the way because sometimes the pedal doesn't return completely. Somebody suggested the syncros but I would assume if that was the case it would do it all the time and it would be very difficult to shift. Am l right?

#19 ·
I have put a new clutch in my 06 offroad Xterra three times, not counting the original. They totally burn out every 23K and I am seeing it start to slip again in lower gears at 89k. I have written letters complained to dealer and Nisson. I have driven a clutch all my life so I know its not my driving, which is what every dealer tells me. Is it possible the clutch designed for this truck is not heavy duty enough? Should I just bypass the dealer and look for a heavy duty clutch? What will work? Had anyone else had this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.