Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Suspension Lift Question

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
I'll be lifting my 2007 Xterra S (Title says it's an X but the dealer says it's an S) soon and I have a question. I'd like to lift it enough to the point where I don't have to remount the transfer case or modify the driveline. Does anybody know the max lift I can put on it without having to do any of those drivetrain modifications? I'm pretty new to this so I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks.

#2 ·
Those are JEEP problems due to short drive shafts....not Xterra problems typically.

The issues are MORE related to the IFS, and that as you lift, the two front tires are essentially swinging inwards and down to compensate.

How high did you want to lift, and, as it matters as far as options go, what is your objective in lifting?

If its to look taller in the mall parking lot, or, to mount larger tires, or, to off road with on uneven terrain, etc, these are all DIFFERENT lift options, etc.

:D

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. I want to lift it because I keep taking it camping/off-roading, etc and I find I don't have enough clearance to go where I want. I'm not sure yet how high I want to lift it. I don't really care about the parking lot appeal. I'm lifting it more for utility than anything.

I am also planning on putting bigger tires on once I lift it. Any idea of a good combo to put together on lift and wheel size? I could use a good recommendation on lift kits and tire sizes. I probably wouldn't go any higher than 4" total.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your response. I want to lift it because I keep taking it camping/off-roading, etc and I find I don't have enough clearance to go where I want. I'm not sure yet how high I want to lift it. I don't really care about the parking lot appeal. I'm lifting it more for utility than anything.

I am also planning on putting bigger tires on once I lift it. Any idea of a good combo to put together on lift and wheel size? I could use a good recommendation on lift kits and tire sizes. I probably wouldn't go any higher than 4" total.
For what you describe, the tire size will be key.

You can fit 33's on it stock, with no lift, right now for example.

If you want taller than 33's, you'd add a BODY LIFT (BL).

For the 2005+ X's, a 3" BL allows 35's, but there is some minor front wheel well trimming....and some front diff durability concerns with larger than 33's.

Depending upon your budget, to handle the 35's, you can swap on some parts from a Titan to replace the Xterra parts to address the diff/axle strength as well as to add some more wheel travel....or wing it with the OEM parts and a judicious go go pedal.

The X has IFS, so, the upper control arms don't allow wheel alignment/avoid coil bucket bang over ~ 2" - 2.5" of lift (SUSPENSION LIFT), so to go higher in SL than ~ 2.5", you would get a set of aftermarket UCA that would allow about 3" or so of total lift.

If 2.5" of SL is enough frame clearance, then all you'd need are either coil spacers or taller coils in front and longer shackles and/or AAL in back.

The rear has a live axle, so its more straight forward to modify.

The longer shackles add lift and soften the ride, and, due to the longer shackle swing, also add wheel travel/articulation.

AAL add lift by making it take more force to compress the suspension/bow the pack...so they stiffen the ride/rob wheel travel/articulation.

The X works best with a nose down rake, so "Leveling Kits" sold to unsuspecting newbs are a hot business but not what you want for functionality.

The S and X came with 265/70/16 (Long Trails for example). That's a ~ 30.6" diameter tire.

If you went up to a 33" tire, say a 285/75/16 or 305/70/16, etc, that would be an increase of ~ 2.4" in diameter, or, 1.2" in radius.

So, 33's net you about 1.2" of lift/ground clearance all by themselves, and they fit a stock rig.

If you did a 2.5" SL on top of that you'd be increasing your frame clearance by ~ 3.7" from where you are now.

As you will never lift enough to never hit, skid plates are the most practical solution...starting with rock rails/sliders.

If you let us know your budget and time frame (Down time to do mods, etc...) and if you would do it your self (These are driveway mods) or want to hook up with some club members for a "Mod Day", etc...we can make more specific suggestions as to good options that make sense for what you are trying to accomplish.

To give you some perspective, here's a recent vid of a guy with a 2" BL + 2.5" SL and 315/75/16's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCbeqsnZ56M&feature=youtu.be

#5 ·
Thanks again, TJ. That's a lot of awesome information. I've decided to go with a 285/75/16 tire (Most likely the Goodyear DuraTrac). I'll be getting those put on in the next few weeks.

The plan is to raise it another 2.5" - 3" with a SL. I have someone who will help me so it'll be a driveway mod. Do you have recommendations on some kits to buy? It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just something to get the job done. I realize there may be more involved with the 3" lift so I may be spending more money that way. Just trying to find out if it's worth it.

Thanks

#6 ·
Thanks again, TJ. That's a lot of awesome information. I've decided to go with a 285/75/16 tire (Most likely the Goodyear DuraTrac). I'll be getting those put on in the next few weeks.

The plan is to raise it another 2.5" - 3" with a SL. I have someone who will help me so it'll be a driveway mod. Do you have recommendations on some kits to buy? It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just something to get the job done. I realize there may be more involved with the 3" lift so I may be spending more money that way. Just trying to find out if it's worth it.

Thanks
The main extra cost for that 1/2" - 1" more is needing new upper control arms so that you can get an alignment, and, so that the coil bucket and the OEM UCA don't beat each other to death.

IE: ~ 2" or so, no new UCA are needed, over ~ 2" - 2.5" (Some are ok AT 2.5"), you need new UCA for it to function best.

So your decision point is not in the 2.5 - 3" range, as once at/over 2 - 2.5", you're already getting new UCA.

As 285/75/16 fit a stock 2005+ X w/o a lift, no BL or SL is needed to fit them. So, whatever lift you add is not for tire clearance, just for frame clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.