Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Engine Swap Transmission Question

5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  SonOfDilbert 
#1 ·
Little background first. Guy on my boat has an 03 350z, he picked it up as a project car, lost interest in it because he's a 4x4 off-road guy at heart and on the last deployment, we were talking about options and we toyed around with the idea of dropping the VQ35DE into my 2004 Xterra. I know there is no write-up or anything for an engine swap, not looking for that. Between the five of us who want to undertake this project, I'm the least experienced and have a question. (Hopefully, once this project is done, I can post a little somethin' somethin'.) However, the question I have as I've never done anything this huge with the powertrain and motor before, is what kind of problems would I have mating the 4WD manual transmission from my X to the 350's motor? New or custom bellhousing or something along those lines, or will we end up having to figure a way to make the 350z tranny 4WD? Not too consider with positioning or alignment, I understand those potential issues, I just want to know if in theory, can I attach the transmission to the engine before we put both in, and have them connect without modifications?

I'm generally asking at the moment, because the other person on our team who has done some crazy shit, I won't be able to get a hold of until our next deployment. I make no promises as to when this will be accomplished, we've got another deployment coming up in a couple weeks but this one is short, and then we've got a looooooooooong in port period. Word up.

See less See more
#2 ·
well as you know it won't be an easy swap BUT where there's a will there's a way. As for the tranny you should be fine with an adaptor plate. You'll have to get one custom made but that should work. Many people get adaptor plates for tranny.

#5 ·
The clocking of the bellhousing, the starter/flywheel depths and clocking, etc, are likely to be different.

There's a t-case to contend with, and out put to it, etc.

You'd also be looking at the harness and ECU compatabilities.

The X's harness to its ECU will be looking for it's years VG33 feed back loops, etc...and, the VG33 it came with has harness connections for those signals to and from the ECU.

The VQ35DE will have harness connectors that are looking for the 350's harness, ECU, and so forth.

So, the VQ will likely have to communicate with the X's ECU, but, some of what its looking for will be missing....and, the X's ECU will be looking for the VG's input.

If you use the VQ ECU, you will need the harness too, and the wires that run from the engine bay to the ECU area are not the same. (Jumps with appropriate connectors on a case by case basis are another option...)

Otherwise, your dash will be lit up like a Griswald Christmas all the time.

So, its a hell of a project just for that.

Then you look at where the steering parts are going to go, as the engine might be now in the way of where the X's parts usually reside, and so forth.

#7 ·
Haha, though I did just get the nicest "What the fuck are you thinking?" message from Nissan when I asked them if it would connect.

"With regard to your inquiry, please be advised that Nissan does not recommend any modifications on your vehicle from the original manufacturing equipment as this may affect the terms and conditions of your warranty.

Our Consumer Affairs department relies on our Nissan Dealers to provide technical support for our products. We advise you to call a Dealer Service Department and request advice on the modification in question."

Damnit Nissan, I just want to do something so absurd with this truck... jeez... (I... I also don't even remember when the warranty went out... the truck is 10 years old with 110k mi...)

#8 ·
Damnit Nissan, I just want to do something so absurd with this truck... jeez... (I... I also don't even remember when the warranty went out... the truck is 10 years old with 110k mi...)

lol. If you want to go absurd you should slam a older LT1 and blow it and add a super tall intake manifold. Lol

#9 ·
I've... rolled two SUVs already in non-off-roading incidents. I can just imagine the speed that thing would through out and how fast I'd end up looking for another X. Though neither were my fault or anything I could have stopped... I do not want to recreate the events! Haha...

#10 ·
I've... rolled two SUVs already in non-off-roading incidents. I can just imagine the speed that thing would through out and how fast I'd end up looking for another X. Though neither were my fault or anything I could have stopped... I do not want to recreate the events! Haha...

Yeah that would put a damper on big motors. You should go with the nissan td27 turbo diesel then. That's what I want to do. The best thing is our frames are made for it. The tranny is the same as well just a different bell housing. All your 4wd bits are the same. Plus they get 35mpg even in the xterra.

#13 ·
So my problem is I'm as my wife describes a hipster. I don't want to be the second diesel unless I do a Cummings. (Heritage, MOPAR man, they were Dodge)

For ease of swap though I want to stick Nissan and have decided on the VQ35. Been in contact with people to do the trans adaptor. Will update as time goes on. Fair warning, time of evolution is within a year to a year and a half due to deployment schedule.

#16 ·
Just an update, bought the Z from him, only paid about $1500 because we did a little parting out. Just took it to my storage place. In a couple months we should be moving into a house from an apartment, and a short time after that, have Akuria's old IFS to make her 4WD.

#18 ·
It's going to be an insane amount of work, but that's where the fun is going to be. The most enjoyable moments of my life were high school and college gutting my 94 Civic and 86 Nova after I lost the tranny in the civic and lost motor in the Nova. Paid a local mechanic for garage time and managed to get the engine into the Nova, but ran into serious money issues with paying for college by myself, so... eventually scrapped it... Dropped out because I hated college and my major... Enlisted, and now I've got a great job with steady pay and better opportunities when I get out... So I can afford to just tear up the 350 and gingerly try to wedge it in the X.

(Yes, working on finishing my degree just to have one. My wife is adamant about that.)

Also, I've made it a point to the guys who will be working with me that I want detailed notes and pictures for a how to, or at least to answer questions.

#19 ·
Sweet man. When this gets finished it will be a cool and unique Xterra.

Too bad I couldn't convince you to go Diesel lol. I still plan too and then will run a home brew of Bio Diesel.

But I do love unique rides with unique motor swaps and a 3.5L from a Z is pretty damn unique.

#23 ·
Interesting...I'll keep my eye on this thread...should be an interesting X. I too am going the diesel route although not the Nissan diesel. I'm doing a 4BT and it will be the only one in existence that I'm aware of so props to you on doing something unique

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.