Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Clunking Noise at idle in D or R not neutral

16K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  kms1990 
#1 ·
2000 Xterra, 160K.
I am hearing a fairly rapid clunking noise that sounds like its directly under the center of the vehicle when the vehicle is at a stop in either Drive or Reverse. When I put it in Neutral it goes away immediately, and just as quickly comes back when put back into Drive or Reverse. Seems worse when it's warm. I just bought the Xterra, but I bought it from a friend so I know it's been making the noise for awhile.

I went underneath and banged around on the heat shields as others have had problems with those, but didn't find any that were particularly noisy.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Nope, haven't checked anything other than the heat shields. The clunking almost knocking noise is clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk none stop until I put it in neutral. But nothing while driving. As soon as I step on the gas it stops. Sound like something hitting the bell housing. Are the Xterra's known for Ujoint noises like that. I guess it could be clunking back and forth at idle.

#4 ·
See if you can get someone you trust to get in and hold the brake while you peek under the truck. Maybe you can isolate the source of the noise.

#6 ·
I've noticed that the noise only occurs after the car warms up. While in Drive at a stop, initially it either doesn't make the noise, or it's faint. If I put it in reverse while stopped it gets loud, and then if I put it back into drive it stays loud.

Putting it in neutral stops the noise all together.

I know I need to get under it, but just haven't had the time.

I'm starting to think that it's the trans?

#7 ·
Video uploaded - Hear the sound, tell me what it is...

Crawled under the truck while it was in Reverse (parking brake firmly set). The noise sounds like it's coming from the engine. I used a stethoscope to try and isolate it to some particular spot, but didn't really find it. It sounds kinda like a rod knocking, but it only makes the noise in R or D and goes right away in N. So, only under load. And as soon as I accelerate, the sound goes away. I posted a video here http://youtu.be/Qe2p3s7LAQA where you can hear the sound.

Need help with this one.
Could it be the timing belt???

#9 ·
A timing belt issue would make noise all the time, not just in D or R. It wouldn't be a shift clunk noise. You likely have a drivetrain issue.

#10 ·
Drive Train

I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the front of the engine but I'm not positive. It's loud and sounds like it's coming from everywhere. Looking at the drive shaft while in R, it wasn't moving at all. I know what you mean about the timing belt making the noise all the time, doesn't make sense that it would go away in N, but other than that it sure sounds like a tensioner going bad. I watched some YouTube videos from other people with bad tensioners and they sounded very similar to mine. The timing belt has never been changed, and since it has almost 160K on it, I'm thinking I should change it anyway. I did notice that the sound through the stethoscope was loudest when I put it on the bracket that holds the idler pulley. Any ideas on how to confirm it's drive train?

#11 ·
The driveshaft isn't supposed to move unless the vehicle is moving. The clunk typically occurs when a worn driveshaft is put under load while putting the tranny in gear.

If you have 160k on your timing belt I would suggest changing it immediately because you are way overdue. Replacement is at 105k and they don't always make it that long. If it breaks your noise issue will go away for sure because it will quit running.

Reactions: Satito
#12 ·
flex plate?

Ha, yea, I saw that the timing belt should have been changed at 105K!!

The sound isn't a single clunk, it's a clunk, clunk, clunk etc etc.

But I agree with you, seems like drive train.

Did some more research, and found the Toyota boys having the exact same symptoms with a cracked Flex Plate.

I've had a lot of cars, but never had a cracked Flex Plate. the symptoms are the same as mine - no noise in neutral or on acceleration. Bad at idle but only in drive or Reverse.

What do you think?

#13 ·
Auto transmissions aren't my strong point.

The engine doesn't know what gear you are in, so any engine related rotational generated noise would likely occur at all times, even in neutral. Driveshaft / rear end problem would show up while moving (except the one clunk previously mentioned). A continuous noise while in D/R while stopped may be transmission / torque converter related. Just guessing.

All the factory manuals are here on the forum. Check chapter AT for troubleshooting.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2000/at.pdf

#16 ·
i have same problem in my 2008 XC70 205600 miles,it has a timing chain,i changed all my engine mounts,i flush transmission fluid yesterday,it was dirty black,i was thinking idle air valve or fuel pressure valve,did you fix yours??if you did can you please enlighten us,thanks in advance

#17 ·
Unfortunately this thread is from 6 years ago and I haven't seen Paul around in the last couple of years. We're a pretty friendly group here and some of the guys might have some insight, but you would probably have a little more luck for your XC70 on a Volvo forum since some of these issues can be make and model specific. Here are a couple of links to forums that might have a little more insight into the nuances of your particular vehicle. I believe your vehicle is also front wheel drive where as the Xterra is rear wheel drive. That in itself can make a difference in the list of possible causes.

Unfortunately I have no experience with your vehicle but common sources of clunking are front wheel drive cars are the CV joints, ball joints, tie rods and control arm bushings. These happen when the vehicle is moving of course. A bad support bearing for one of the drive shafts/axles can also clunk during motion as can motor mounts.

I'd try one of the XC70 forums and give a full and detailed description of exactly what is happening and under what conditions it happens.

#19 ·
Don't let the electronics intimidate you. The mechanical principles are still the same and the concept of many of the sensors are the same. They just feed back to a computer module rather than an analogue system or relays. If you get a decent OBDII reader (I recommend one by OBDLink or Bluedriver) you can read your own codes and trouble shoot based on the info it gives you. Most sensors are super easy to reach and change and the main mechanical components like belts etc are more or less the same. The best thing you can do is get your hands on a Factor Service Manual for your make and model. Failing that pick up a Haynes manual and in either case join a good forum for your vehicle and YouTube is your friend.

#20 ·
just to be very specific no noise on driving and moving,foot on gaz,noise starts only when engine hot and foot fully on brake at stop eith on D or R.But neutral noise disapear.so at stop i often switch gear neutral to avoid clunking,i changed all engine mounts

#24 ·
and you flushed a tranny with black fluid in and put ion fresh? that is likely your issue, that black stuff was the friction materials of your internal transmission clutches and is likely thew cause of your issues, as it now no longer has the needed friction materials to operate properly, think of transmssion gears like brakes you need fricton tos top, thats what the transmission uses in most vehicles is friction tos top the spinning shift then start it back up in sync so you can continue accelerating. i wuld have a tranny shop inspect the shift clutches in your transmission

Reactions: Satito
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.