Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Suddenly, the Air Bag light is flashing...

19K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Chitownmonster 
#1 ·
....after I installed a dual lighter socket receptacle inside (behind the radio) so I can plug in both my Garmin GPS and my XM radio. I don't like wires running everywhere in sight and have done this on many other vehicles. I didn't get near anything air bag related, but now the Air Bag light is flashing.

Anyone else have this happen??? Anyone?:huh:

#2 ·
This is quite common when people install stereos and such.

Try this, this should reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

Let us know.

#8 ·
This is quite common when people install stereos and such.

Try this, this should reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

Let us know.

#4 ·
my guess is you unplugged the passenger airbag indicator and then turned on the the key..(open circuit throws a code) the little yellow light on the right side of the heater controls
if you don't want it to happen again next time take the whole light assembly out of the plastic surround to avoid disconnecting it.