tristinGrind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
tristinGrind is on a distinguished road
Exclamation No Crank After Spin Out

Hello,

I have a 2002 4WD Auto that has been running pretty well for the year that I have had it. I do get a spurious ABS sensor light that comes and goes and every few times I fill up with gas it throws some Evap sensor error, but it goes away. As far as it actually running, it has been great and has never given me any true problems until two days ago. I live in the Seattle area and during some the wet morning the other day I spun out on the freeway on-ramp. The first odd thing is I honestly don't believe I was traveling fast enough, I made no abrupt lane changes (only the grandual left hand curve to turn onto the on-ramp), and while it was wet outside there shouldn't have been enough water to hydroplane. Regardless, I did spin out quite bad.

Even with nearly two full rotations in the middle of the on-ramp I was lucky enough not to hit any guard rails, no ditches, and most importantly no additional vehicles. I just ended up in the middle of two lanes of the on-ramp and a little freaked. Once I came to a stop the X was still on, but was not actually running. I put the car into park, shut the car off, and tried to start it... nothing. No amount of roadside troubleshooting got me running again so I had to call AAA and get it back home.

So as it stands, when I turn the vehicle to ON, all power comes on, all proper gauges illuminate, I get the radio, I hear the fuel pump, but no starter clicks whatsoever. I know some vehicles have crash/inertia sensors to keep the car from continuing to pump fuel into a wrecked vehicle for safety, but no amount of googling or use of my Chiltons shows that sensor and how to reset it. There seems to be absolutely no damage to my vehicle and it's only being limited somewhere else. I have manually checked the SEL which gives me no codes (though I still reset it by gas pedal just in case), I have checked all fuses, and I have disconnected the battery cables in hopes of resetting the ECU somehow.

There has to be something I am missing to get the vehicle to start. Thankfully I have a second vehicle to get around (I cant believe my '69 Datsun is now my daily driver), but I feel so baffled that I can't get the X to start with what seems like such a silly incident. Has anyone had anything similar happen or familiar with some inertia sensor not listed on either fuse diagram or in a Chiltons?
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 03:25 PM
BryanXterra

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
BryanXterra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristinGrind View Post
Hello,

I have a 2002 4WD Auto that has been running pretty well for the year that I have had it. I do get a spurious ABS sensor light that comes and goes and every few times I fill up with gas it throws some Evap sensor error, but it goes away. As far as it actually running, it has been great and has never given me any true problems until two days ago. I live in the Seattle area and during some the wet morning the other day I spun out on the freeway on-ramp. The first odd thing is I honestly don't believe I was traveling fast enough, I made no abrupt lane changes (only the grandual left hand curve to turn onto the on-ramp), and while it was wet outside there shouldn't have been enough water to hydroplane. Regardless, I did spin out quite bad.

Even with nearly two full rotations in the middle of the on-ramp I was lucky enough not to hit any guard rails, no ditches, and most importantly no additional vehicles. I just ended up in the middle of two lanes of the on-ramp and a little freaked. Once I came to a stop the X was still on, but was not actually running. I put the car into park, shut the car off, and tried to start it... nothing. No amount of roadside troubleshooting got me running again so I had to call AAA and get it back home.

So as it stands, when I turn the vehicle to ON, all power comes on, all proper gauges illuminate, I get the radio, I hear the fuel pump, but no starter clicks whatsoever. I know some vehicles have crash/inertia sensors to keep the car from continuing to pump fuel into a wrecked vehicle for safety, but no amount of googling or use of my Chiltons shows that sensor and how to reset it. There seems to be absolutely no damage to my vehicle and it's only being limited somewhere else. I have manually checked the SEL which gives me no codes (though I still reset it by gas pedal just in case), I have checked all fuses, and I have disconnected the battery cables in hopes of resetting the ECU somehow.

There has to be something I am missing to get the vehicle to start. Thankfully I have a second vehicle to get around (I cant believe my '69 Datsun is now my daily driver), but I feel so baffled that I can't get the X to start with what seems like such a silly incident. Has anyone had anything similar happen or familiar with some inertia sensor not listed on either fuse diagram or in a Chiltons?

Have you tried leaving the terminals off of the battery for 45 minutes, to allow the ecu to reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
tristinGrind

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
tristinGrind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXterra View Post
Have you tried leaving the terminals off of the battery for 45 minutes, to allow the ecu to reset
I had the negative removed for nearly 5hrs or so, but not both. I just removed the battery to put in the Datsun (since I only own one battery at the moment), so as of now both cables are technically disconnected. I'll give it an hour and swap the battery back in just in to check. I assumed just breaking the circuit with one terminal disconnected would do the trick. I'll see after both are removed.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM
NoWhining
Veteran

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
Any luck? Check the main lead going to the starter. It's possible that it just came loose.

Let us know what happens. No whining now.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra
post #5 of 6 Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
netdobeiras
Veteran

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
netdobeiras can only hope to improve
If you hear absolutely no clicks then i think it might have something to do with your theft deterence system. I remember reading somewhere on how to bypass it for a brief emergency moment. try locking and unlocking the drivers door with the keys, that should reset the alarm. Also check for the door chime sound when the door is opened. if it chimes then the theft system is probably off but if it doesn't then it could be on. Checking your starters connection would also be a good start.
2001 Xterra
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2017, 08:44 AM
datsuyama
Noob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
datsuyama is on a distinguished road
Try starting the car with the shift selector in neutral instead of park. Maybe the safety switch is buggered up?
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.