Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Guesstimate on Cost for Repairs?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jnuke79 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was rear ended this evening and the rear metal bumper, left rear plastic bumper, and left tail light will all need replaced. Any idea what the insurance company might be willing to pay to fix this? I have a 2000 xterra.

#2 ·
probably the most expensive piece out of the 3 will be the tail light. I have heard the rear bumper goes for about $75, the side pieces are only about $50. A shop might charge a couple hundred bucks to pull the old stuff off and put the new on. i would guess top end would be $500-$600 maybe a bit more if bulbs need replaced or the light holders for the license plate needs changed. I could change all of those parts out on my truck in less than an hour if I took my time, so auto body shop will probably charge for 3-5 hours.

#3 ·
probably the most expensive piece out of the 3 will be the tail light. I have heard the rear bumper goes for about $75, the side pieces are only about $50. A shop might charge a couple hundred bucks to pull the old stuff off and put the new on. i would guess top end would be $500-$600 maybe a bit more if bulbs need replaced or the light holders for the license plate needs changed. I could change all of those parts out on my truck in less than an hour if I took my time, so auto body shop will probably charge for 3-5 hours.
Lol honestly that's the main reason I asked I'll end up doing the labor myself so I was more curious as to how much I might "profit" off this.

#6 ·
Insurance adjusters use the web just like we do - they also have industry-focused databases to look up parts and know how to get better deals than dealership prices.

They are not in business to lose money, but that said, they will usually cut you a check for the lowest cost of repair and be done with it. What you do with that money is up to you - some pocket it, some repair it as quoted, some source their own parts and repair what they have/want to.

You may be able to save a couple bucks DIY, but won't be enough for a new lift and tires (if that's what you're thinking) ;-)

#7 ·
On a siode note about the topic of profiting from insurance, I once hit a deer on the highway in my old BMW...crunch the hood/grill/radiator supports and some other stuff...

Insurance gave me 2200 dollars after their adjuster appraised the damage...

Using some ingenuity and doing some labor, I got everything fixed and painted for 1600...

I was in college at the time so my 600 dollars immediately went to support local businesses (bars)

#8 ·
I was rear ended once (OK, the X was) and the insurance cut me a check for about 400. A good chuck was paint, only $25 was bumper due to some cheap one they found in west Texas. I took the money, bought a few cans of bedliner, took the bumper to my GFIL and beat the ever loving tar out of it. Can hardly tell that it was ever damaged. Spent the rest of the money on shocks, balls and tubes for the hatch.

If someone would do that again, I could get some struts for my other car.

#9 ·
Insurance adjusters use the web just like we do - they also have industry-focused databases to look up parts and know how to get better deals than dealership prices.

They are not in business to lose money, but that said, they will usually cut you a check for the lowest cost of repair and be done with it. What you do with that money is up to you - some pocket it, some repair it as quoted, some source their own parts and repair what they have/want to.
Being in the automotive business myself, and from personal exprience of dealing with insurance companies on my own accidents, there is not always the potential of making a profit. The system the adjusters quote from may quote aftermarket parts, but even parts from a junkyard b/c of the age of the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.