Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Need HELP with tires!

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  ShiftingSkys 
#1 ·
I am looking to get new tires for my 06 xterra off road. i do not have any lift on it but i want to run 285/75/16 tires with the melt mod until i lift it 2 inches. This car is my daily driver and i take it off road every once in a while. I am look at either Falken Rocky mountain ATS tire http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...H0IpYcLl2eEFs8EVIQ__.dtc105?r=CALINT&pc=18281

or the Cooper discoverer ATP tire http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/cooper/product/submitProductSize.do?r=CALINT&pc=11766

Which ones do you guys think will be a better choice?

#2 ·
I run the ATPs in 32s and I love them....put about 2k miles on them...great road manners, good performance offroad, I can't really complain.

Obviously as an all terrain tire, it isn't as good offroad as a mud tire, but it gets the job done and is very inexpensive...but good quality...which = value

I've heard good things about the falkens too...you have chosen pretty solid tires in my opinion

#4 ·
#7 ·
I have used the ATP tires in mud/water...They worked great. I did get stuck a few times in the sense that I had to rock back and forth and inch my way forward some to get out of the mud hole, but always manged to make it through, even when in mud/water up to the bottom of the door seams.

A big wheeling weekend I got to test them out...there was only 1 slick mud hill I couldn't get up on my 32s...handled just about everything else I threw at it with suprising results. Many of my difficulties I would also attribute to me being new to wheeling...but I was able to ride next to a SAS xterra on 37s without being too much of a limiting factor.

#8 ·
thanks i want to get them in 33 and i think the coopers would be better. I found a set of dakata definity mud terrains for 200 a peice with buy 3 get one free at pepboys so i might go with them but if not i think im going to go with the coopers

#9 ·
my buddies taco does great in the mud with those falkens... They clean out extremely well for an all-terrain, and handle themselves well in the deep stuff too.

since your wantin 33s, you'll be running a 285/75/16s... If your gonna go coopers, have u loooked at the st discoverer maxx? I mean both tires are within a dollar of each other. I swapped from stts to these st maxxs and there great man. I was sold after looking at reviews and couldn't find anything negative about them.

http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=10695

here they are on my rig

good luck bro, Imo opinion you can't really go wrong with anything that says cooper on it... Let us know what you get.

#10 ·
thanks i haven't looked at those tires yet. i love the look on the st maxx's you have so I'm gonna look into them but the only thing is if the one's from pep boys are good, I'm still reading reviews, they sell them buy 3 get one free so it saves some money. but I'm definitely gonna look at the st maxx. i also like the regular discoverer S/T, do you know how they are?

#11 ·
Those dakota's should be a pretty good tire... I mean there made by cooper. The thing with mud-terrains though is they don't like the roads. and you absolutely have to keep em rotated.

The orginal st is a great tire. A little loud for an all-terrain, my dad ran them on mazda b-4000 4x4. Did awesome in the snow and the mud. I talked with a local tire shop and told them I was lookin at the st maxxs. they told me there a better tire than the st. On the st maxxs cooper took the outside cleats from the stt and re-worked the st pattern in the center. Which makes it a hybrid all-terrain-mud-terrain lol. Whatever they done its a killer tire.

#12 ·
yeah they look pretty good and you can't beat the price especially with 1 free haha. what do you recommend you rotate the tires at for M/T, 5000k? and i like the st maxx a lot its just like i said the one free definity is a real pull and the shipping cost is another 200 to me for the coopers

#13 ·
#14 ·
have you thought about goodyear wrangler duratracs? for snow they will be the best out of all the tires you have listed, I had over 30k on mine when i sold them and they had over half tread still, they look agressive but have great road manners, the falkens have awesome reviews, only bad thing i have ever heard is they look wimpy lol

#15 ·
no i have not looked into them i might. again tho the thing that is really pulling me into the definite is the buy 3 get one free. that really helps cause my tire funds are tight. but i am definitely going to look at them they look good. and yes the falkens do look a little wimpy i agree. thats one thing keeping me away from them

#16 ·
ya dura-tracts are a good bet too... All are good options imo just depends on the look and what you wanna spend, u know?

As far as rotatin mud-terrains go, at the most every 5,000... Ive got a jeep buddy that rotates his km1's every 3,000.... the jury is still out on it but his tires have been on that jeep for about 3 years daily driven and are wearing awesome. Now i ran my stts to the 5,000 mark and chewed through them in about 30,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.