Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Bang for Buck tires..

9K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  DirtRoad 
#1 ·
Hi, I've read quite a few threads here and agree with those who favor the BFG At/KO's...I have them on my 09 stock X right now. And I had the BFG Mud Terrains on my Wrangler, so I'm a fan of the brand.

However, I'm now a new dad and funds aren't what they used to be. Here are replacement options I'm considering:

BFG AT/KO's: $1,193 for four, installed
Bridgestone Dueler Revo's: $795 installed
Goodyear Duratrac: $994 installed

This is my DD, so apart from moderate hauling for my home renovation business, I don't really go offroad. But I do have to worry about punctures from stray nails, perhaps. And I do like to go camping, so would hate to get stuck in any mud...

Anyone try the Duelers? That seems pretty cheap, and they don't look as aggressive as the KO's or the Duratracs

#2 ·
for a cheap street tire that is super puncture resistant, I run the kenda klever A/T and love them. the wear is great and for running around camp there fine.
I had the BF's the first gen AT where horrible in the snow, I heard the new ones are better.
I had the General Grabber AT and they wear fast but all around traction was ok

I think any of those would be decent for you, I have not run the bridgestone so no input, my boss runs the Duratrac on his rig, and they are SUPER noisy (like louder then my designated mud tires) once they started wearing in. but he loves them.
and ive run the nanking Mudstar awesome tire, but lousy in rain, ice, dry great in mud/sand/ deep snow. (not recommended for you but great cheap mudder)

I want to try the Kenda M/T next once these finally wear out

#3 ·
What size are you running? I got BFG TA KO2s for $850? for 5 of them from 4x4parts.com Thats right, 5 not 4. I matched the spare.

I took them to a local hole in the wall used tire shop and had them mounted for $50.

#4 ·
If you want a cheaper and mild All Terrain....look at Coopers!

I previously ran Cooper Discoverer ATP from Discount Tire Direct. My dad also has the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Note the slight difference ATP vs. AT3.

ATP is an exclusive tire from Discount Tire...but I wheeled them a LOT and they could get through a LOT. They surprised me with their off road capability. They also were VERY well mannered on road. No road noise at all, wore pretty good.

For a mostly daily driver that doesn't go offroad much...I recommend them. Even if you do go off road a bit, they will work pretty welll, but I find that once you start going off road a little bit...you won't be satisfied until you have the best, biggest, most aggressive tires. It is a bit of an addiction :)

OHH...the PRICE.

www.discounttiredirect.com

265 / 75 R 16 = $145 per tire, free shipping

OR

Cooper Discoverer AT3 is a non-Discount Tire exclusive. it is a pretty awesome all terrain tire, and is probably seen as a better tire. My dad doesn't take them off road at all, but the road manners are great, no noise, good wear, etc. It has a great tread pattern.

265 / 75 R16 = $134 per tire, free shipping

Between those 2...I would go with the AT3 for a slightly more aggressive tread pattern. The specs are basically the same with a 55k mile warranty. The both drive great on road, and work great in snow. I know the ATP worked pretty great off road given the tread pattern and realistic expectations. I would expect the AT3 to work just a great or slightly better off road.

#5 ·
I want to try the Kenda M/T next once these finally wear out
As a side note, I had a friend running the Kenda Klever M/T. he said they did great off road. His only complaint was that they were VERY NOISY. He actually kept ear plugs in his truck when driving on the highway, LOL.

I almost bought a set for myself, but decided to fork out the extra money for the BFGs for better road manners.

#6 ·
I have General Grabber AT2's...had them for about 3 months, I off-road a lot and use as a daily driver. I think their great

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your recommendations, robcarync. Cooper tires are a very solid choice.

Former Jeeper, being that money is a bit tight you may want to take a look at our Car Care One credit card. Depending on your total you can get 6 months or more with no interest if paid in full and according to the terms.

Here is a link to the full terms and quick application.

Easy Credit

Let us know if you have any questions.

#9 ·
Nankang Mudstars. $620 all 4 mounted and balanced. A little loud but tough as hell. Should have tore them open on the rocks a long time ago but they just keep on keeping on.

#11 ·
Nankang Mudstars. $620 all 4 mounted and balanced. A little loud but tough as hell. Should have tore them open on the rocks a long time ago but they just keep on keeping on.

I saw you had them I have them for off road only as on the street they where ok not great and horrible on ice/packed snow
Still have them on my stock wheels

For the price best mudder I've ever owned
Unstoppable off road
Bought them from discount tire direct via eBay when they had a sale I would buy them again but I don't think practical tire if your not leaving the pavement more then 1 or 2 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Your Easy Credit is a joke. I applied for the card tonight and was rejected. 800 credit score, own my home, meaning no mortgage, no auto loans, student loans, any loans. No CC debt to currently speak of. Just paid off the remaining CC that had $5K of construction materials and $4K in medical expenses. Work full time. Have a $84K home equity LOC with a zero balance. Daily expenses are ran with a CC and make 2 payments a month to pay off balance. Turned down for a piddly $1000 credit card?

#13 ·
Your Easy Credit is a joke. I applied for the card tonight and was rejected. 800 credit score, own my home, meaning no mortgage, no auto loans, student loans, any loans. No CC debt to currently speak of. Just paid off the remaining CC that had $5K of construction materials and $4K in medical expenses. Work full time. Have a $84K home equity LOC with a zero balance. Daily expenses are ran with a CC and make 2 payments a month to pay off balance. Turned down for a piddly $1000 credit card?
Don't get me wrong...being rejected can be heart breaking...but I mean, you already paid off/avoided having student loans, mortgages, auto loans, CC debts, medical debt, HELOC, etc...why feel the need to have another credit card that you will pay back down to zero? Especially a piddly $1000 credit card that can be paid down quickly?

Maybe it's just me...but being debt free rocks. Not going back once the mortgage is finished.

:)

#14 · (Edited)
We're sorry to hear you weren't approved for credit, ARP.

Synchrony is the financial institution issuing CarCareONE Credit, not Discount Tire, so you may want to reach out to them directly for a detailed review of your application. Something as simple as not being able to verify a piece of information will send back a rejection. Given your detailed financial situation, that could very easily be the case here.

On a side note, we just replied in your "Time for new tires" thread. Let us know if we can be of further assistance!

#15 ·
Don't get me wrong...being rejected can be heart breaking...but I mean, you already paid off/avoided having student loans, mortgages, auto loans, CC debts, medical debt, HELOC, etc...why feel the need to have another credit card that you will pay back down to zero? Especially a piddly $1000 credit card that can be paid down quickly?

Maybe it's just me...but being debt free rocks. Not going back once the mortgage is finished.

:)
This is probably why: 2016 Labor Day Deals! | ClubXterra.org

#16 ·
#19 ·
I have the Cooper Discoverer RTX's on mine (store brand, National Tire and Battery) and they are fantastic. 4 tires mounted, balanced, taxes out the door, $544.00

I will buy this again

If you want a cheaper and mild All Terrain....look at Coopers!

I previously ran Cooper Discoverer ATP from Discount Tire Direct. My dad also has the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Note the slight difference ATP vs. AT3.

ATP is an exclusive tire from Discount Tire...but I wheeled them a LOT and they could get through a LOT. They surprised me with their off road capability. They also were VERY well mannered on road. No road noise at all, wore pretty good.

For a mostly daily driver that doesn't go offroad much...I recommend them. Even if you do go off road a bit, they will work pretty welll, but I find that once you start going off road a little bit...you won't be satisfied until you have the best, biggest, most aggressive tires. It is a bit of an addiction :)

OHH...the PRICE.

www.discounttiredirect.com

265 / 75 R 16 = $145 per tire, free shipping

OR

Cooper Discoverer AT3 is a non-Discount Tire exclusive. it is a pretty awesome all terrain tire, and is probably seen as a better tire. My dad doesn't take them off road at all, but the road manners are great, no noise, good wear, etc. It has a great tread pattern.

265 / 75 R16 = $134 per tire, free shipping

Between those 2...I would go with the AT3 for a slightly more aggressive tread pattern. The specs are basically the same with a 55k mile warranty. The both drive great on road, and work great in snow. I know the ATP worked pretty great off road given the tread pattern and realistic expectations. I would expect the AT3 to work just a great or slightly better off road.

#20 ·
285/75/16
Got them from a little tire shop here in Jacksonville.

#22 ·
So, I've been too busy to get rid of my BFG Rugged Trails. They suck, but are inexpensive. I'm looking to have them replaced next week, however.

I priced out the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's.....any thoughts on these? I have a sort of "in" with the manager at a firestone, so of course he wants to cut me a deal on their brand.
What do you guys think of the Firestone Destination A/T?
The duelers he'll give me 5 for a little over $600, mounted, balanced, and with Road Hazard protection. I haven't priced the Destinations, because they are pricey.
I called him to price the Wrangler DuraTracs but he hasn't called me back yet

I can't afford the BFG A/T KO's, unfortunately. They look phenomenal, and I used to have the BFG Mud Terrains on my jeep, which I loved

#24 · (Edited)
So, I've been too busy to get rid of my BFG Rugged Trails. They suck, but are inexpensive. I'm looking to have them replaced next week, however.

I priced out the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's.....any thoughts on these? I have a sort of "in" with the manager at a firestone, so of course he wants to cut me a deal on their brand.
What do you guys think of the Firestone Destination A/T?
The duelers he'll give me 5 for a little over $600, mounted, balanced, and with Road Hazard protection. I haven't priced the Destinations, because they are pricey.
I called him to price the Wrangler DuraTracs but he hasn't called me back yet

I can't afford the BFG A/T KO's, unfortunately. They look phenomenal, and I used to have the BFG Mud Terrains on my jeep, which I loved
I haven't had the Bridgestone Duelers...but from the photos online, they look very mild. Going from old/bald highway tires to any new tires will be a step up.

The Firestone Destination AT were a tire I was considering before going with Cooper Discoverer ATPs from Discount Tire Direct. The Firestones are a very mild AT tire too. I am sure they do great on the highway (I was doing a lot of highway driving at the time)...but they seemed very conservative with regard to tread pattern and all terrain performance, which is why I didn't end up with them.

I still recommend the Coopers for a good all terrain on a budget.

As mentioned, I wheeled the ATPs like crazy, and they exceeded my expectations...but the MOST IMPORTANT THING...I put thousands and thousands of highway miles on them, and they drove GREAT. No noise, no discomfort. I honestly believe today that I got better offroad performance with the Coopers ... with no downside at all on the road (when compared to a milder AT like Firestones).

On a side note, I have also convinced my dad to do tire shopping online now. It is easy to fall into the latest deal at the shop, but they basically push whatever tire they have in stock and price everything together. I think the best thing about Discount Tire Direct (or Tire Rack, etc) is that you can compare the tire cost only. Assuming I am mounting and balancing 4 or 5 tires regardless...that portion of the price is really fixed. I don't pay for road hazard because I don't think it is a good deal...so when the tire shops try to throw it in, it means nothing to me. When comparing costs, I try to separate the cost of product from the cost of service + extras.

When looking for tires for my dad's truck, he had basically the cheapest ones circled he could find at the local shops (installed out the door). He didn't even really know what tires they were. I asked him: would you have chosen those tires if you were actually TIRE shopping, instead of looking for a "deal"? The answer was no.

On a side note, I have found most local tire shops aren't too excited about giving me prices on non-stocked tires. I rarely get my return phone call after they have to check suppliers, etc. That is one reason why I prefer to show up with a pile of tires and pay the shop to install them and not to find them for me.

Anyway, I can stop advertising for Cooper and Discount Tire Direct now. I just get very passionate about tire shopping...it is just so much fun!

:D

#25 ·
I have gone the online route now for the last 3 sets of tires. When I can beat the local shop tire for tire mounted and balanced down the road by $150, I'll do it every time. Plus I end up with exactly the tire I wanted. So far I have bought 3 sets of tires from DTD and a set of wheels from Tire Rack. Happy with all.

#26 ·
Just check the manufacture date. If they are cheap and on sale it's because they've been on the shelf forever. IE they will dry-rot and crack a lot sooner. They usually go on sale after they've been in stock for 2 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.