Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Synthetic Oil

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  storman 
#1 ·
Just put Mobile 1 in my engine, trying to determine if it's worth the extra cost. They said it can go 7000 miles before changing it, I guess there is less wear on engine parts so it doesn't get as dirty? Plan on keeping my X for a long time.

#2 ·
Most people on here use Mobil 1, myself included. When I did the first oil change on my X, I switched to Mobil 1 and my fuel mileage went up a little over 1 MPG. I've been running it ever since and with routine tune-ups and maintenance the motor is smooth as butter. I just use the regular Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I am pretty religious about oil changes though, every 3,000-4,000 miles I change it out. Any premium oil filter is a good combo as well. i prefer K&N but I know a lot of people use the Mobil 1 extended life and the WIX filters.

#5 ·
Mobil1 is good stuff....but the FILTER is your limiting factor on long change-out intervals.

The Purolator PureOne and the Mobil1 filter are decent. Some of the others go to by-pass mode in as few as 500 MILES though, so you are UNfiltered for most of the time, which is a bad thing.

If you could keep filtering it, even a 25k mile change out would be OK, but, I don't trust even the good filters to go more than ~ 8-10 k miles.

A 7500 mile interval is therefore where I draw the line. (For good synthetic oils)

:D

#6 ·
I am a firm believer in syn. oil. I have been useing it for about 15 years in my motorcycle and cars. Just totaled my 2001 X with 250000 miles and engine ran great. I generally run 6000 miles on the oil but change the filter at 3000. I also flush my transmission fluid useing syn. fluid at 75000 mi. For my 2006 I just bought the owner manual said you have to use Nissan brand matic D. Thats a lie and illegal to manufacture something that has to use only 1 specific brand. Also Castrol makes the oil for Nissan who just repackages it with their name. I'm useing Castrol import multi vehicle full syn. atf and mobil 1 full syn. motor oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.