Nissan XTerra Forum banner

SAS to do or not to do

6K views 49 replies 7 participants last post by  Jbat 
#1 ·
I recently got an 03 Xterra and was wondering the best axles and way to do this. I have a little mechanical knowledge but feel this is over my head. Any help advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Well I say do it. If you feel it's over your head go with a SAS kit like the one from Calmini. It's a mostly bolt on kit. As for axles the easiest one to use is out of a 80s jeep wagoneer. Just make sure it does not have vacuum disconnect. Keep in mind that it'll cost you $3-5k to do a SAS.

#6 ·
The rear Dana 44 from a jeep isn't as strong as our rear axle and if you put in the jeep axle you would have to re gear both axles to match the gearing needed by our xterra transmissions. Jeeps tend to run gears around 3.5 and the xterra runs either a 4.6 or 4.9. If you don't re gear them then you'll take 30 minutes to get to speed.

#8 ·
I tend to use Dana 44's for the rear of our rigs. The gears are half the price and everyone makes D44 lockers. I ran 38 inch tires on my hb with an Isuzu D44 without any issues.

Yes you can use a d44 from another rig in the rear to match but it's added work and costs. The OP said he isn't too mechanically inclined so I gave him the easiest option for him. Plus a rear d44 is weaker than the h233b axle we have in the rear of the xterra.

I still say just go with a waggy axle cause they use the same lug pattern and have the same width as the xterra. Then re gear it to match the back and do a spring over axle swap on the rear axle.

#9 ·
Most likely he will need to re-gear both axles anyway. We get the Isuzu rodeo axles at the pull n pay for 100 bucks. Gears are 150ish and there is more than one choice of lockers. If a fella uses the rodeo axle from 99 on they use the same gears as the JK. These gears are considered HD44's and are rated just under a Dana 60.

If he goes spring over he is welding new spring perches on the stock axle housing. This would be a wash... the only difference making the e-brake cables work.

With that said.. going through the Aussie sites. When the 233 blows a shaft it tends to be across the spines. Busting the ARB..

Don't get me wrong.. the 233 is a descent axle. However the luster gets tarnished with the limited support and expensive parts.

These axles were dropped by Nissan and now they use..... HD Dana 44's.

#10 ·
So I can use wagoneer axles both front and rear and just re-gear both? And it sounds like I will have an easier time finding parts for the Dana 44. I feel ok doing my own work I have just never done an SAS before so I'm looking for all kinds of info on how to. It is however nice to know that the wagoneer axles use 6x5.5 wheel so I wont have to get new instantly

#12 ·
Grandpa kinda knows what he is talking about... Haha. He's done this a time or 2 ;)

#13 ·
Yes you'll be fine running a Dana 44 in the back from a waggy, and in case anyone is wondering you can also run full widths with positive offset wheels and the track width is only slightly wider than the stock xterra. Mine came out of a 79 f250, 44 up front with Dana 60 in the rear

That is with centered wheel (0 offset)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#14 ·
Just like what everyone is saying, you can fit any axles you want and do want ever you want as far as set up goes but the best advise I can give you is to decide what your budget is and figure out what you are comfortable doing then go that route.

#16 ·
So I have been looking into Calmini's SAS. I hear there are some shortcomings with it but haven't been able to find out what. Any idea what they are and what else will I need besides their kit?

I haven't really seen any downsides but haven't really driven mine yet (motor is still out). Mostly people were complaining of shearing the trackbar mount off? But the shock tabs butt up against it and brace it so if installed right I don't see any shortcomings. Other than maybe it won't be as road friendly, but there are guys out there that drive them all over

#17 ·
So I have been looking into Calmini's SAS. I hear there are some shortcomings with it but haven't been able to find out what. Any idea what they are and what else will I need besides their kit?

Oh yeah, you'll also need an axle and shocks, I got my shocks off eBay from Down south Motorsports and saved about $150 over what Calmini wanted for them

#18 ·
I haven't really seen any downsides but haven't really driven mine yet (motor is still out). Mostly people were complaining of shearing the trackbar mount off? But the shock tabs butt up against it and brace it so if installed right I don't see any shortcomings. Other than maybe it won't be as road friendly, but there are guys out there that drive them all over

You didn't need anything else besides axles? And did you do it yourself?

#19 ·

The calmini shortcomings are mostly with their quality and customer service. They have been slipping majorly in both areas for some time now. If you do decide to go with them you'll need to still get coil overs, a donor axle, and a drive shaft at the minimum.

I bought their kit a while back and none of the bolt holes lined up properly. Luckily I didn't start doing any of the cutting on my X. I then took it back to them and got a refund. I had to personally take it to them and personally watch them refund me. Over the phone they were really shady. Luckily my girlfriends parents live down the street from them so I made it a double trip so it wasn't a complete loss.

Otherwise the shortcoming of the design is the radius arms. They tend to fail at full articulation. They also don't get as much flex as a 3 link or 4 link.

What I did was ordered a 3 link kit from Barnes 4x4 and go that route. When I start I'll be doing a write up but I would suggest going that route. You'll be happier.

#21 ·
You didn't need anything else besides axles? And did you do it yourself?

I did do it myself and yeah other than the shocks, axle, and driveline everything came in the kit. I do have to say I was very pleased with the kit and feel it is well built. They did send me the wrong joints for where the arms mount to the crossmember but as soon as I let them know they sent me the right ones out right away. I have no complaints other than the price haha, it's not cheap but will save you tons of time and money chasing things down and little things nickel and diming you to death.

Akuria- id be interested in hearing what bolt holes didn't line up? Also keep track of all the stuff you have to buy, I'm sure it will be cheaper but id be interested in seeing what it costs to put something together yourself vs buying Calmini's kit

#22 ·
#25 ·
Ok shocks, driveline axle. Did you keep you stock rear under your x JBAT?

No I put a Dana 60 rear in with a spring over axle kit with Calmini shackles cause I'm switching over to a diesel motor and will have about 500ft lbs of torque. I've got 35s on it now and it will clear 37s as it sits but once I get my motor back in it will sag some and I'm hoping to be able to switch out the rear Calmini shackles with some revolver shackles to lower the ride height a bit

#26 ·
Barnes 4x4 is a lot like ruff stuff. the 3 link i bought from them ran me about $700 bucks including precut DOM tubing and all brackets and bolts needed. Basically everything that comes with the calmini kit minus the cross members and skid plate. I'll need to weld it all on and fab up some new cross members but i spent $700 on the 3 link kit compared to $1900 for the calmini bolt on kit and i still need to supply my own shocks, axle, and drive line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.