HAM in the X - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #11 of 20 Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Marauder79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
Marauder79 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, 2m or 70cm is the way to go. The technician exam is way easy, and you can pick up used mobiles and ht's all over eBay and craigslist. I will always take my 75 watt 2m FM rig over a wimpy 4 watt AM CB any day.

2001 X

2001 Xterra SE - SOLD
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Xcop
Noob

2008 Xterra
Xcop is on a distinguished road
I run a Yaesu FT-857 with a Yaesu ATAS-120A motorized antenna. If you aren't familiar with these antennas, they move up and down, so as to tune to the band you are operating on.

This allows me to work 40 meters through 70 cm in the Xterra. For this type of installation, you have to do proper grounding and bonding, so the antenna works correctly, but the results are pretty cool. I can talk around the block or around the world with this radio/antenna combination.

The detachable faceplate of the radio makes it easy to mount.

2008 Xterra
post #13 of 20 Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Jiggerman
Noob

2000 Xterra
Jiggerman is on a distinguished road
Garage
That looks like a sweet setup.
2000 Xterra

post #14 of 20 Old 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM
L0KEMAN
Noob

2004 Xterra
L0KEMAN is on a distinguished road
I have Ham equipment but just stay on the non HAM frequencies to talk to 2-ways and CBs. No HAM license needed. In an emergency, law says license not needed. I got the the best of both worlds and am "sticking it to the man" too. It don't get no better
2004 Xterra
post #15 of 20 Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 AM
hoshnasi

hoshnasi is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any experience with the
Chinese Radios Chinese Radios
showing up on Amazon and eBay?
post #16 of 20 Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Robert Bills

2005 Xterra
Robert Bills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshnasi View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Chinese Radios showing up on Amazon and eBay?
I have a Baofeng 70cm/2m HT. Performance on the trail is good with a MFJ 1724 mag mount external antenna.

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
Shasta County, California

2005 Xterra Off Road
1946 Bantam T3-C Trailer
2005 Xterra
post #17 of 20 Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Jiggerman
Noob

2000 Xterra
Jiggerman is on a distinguished road
Garage
I have a Baofeng and the new Wouxun KG-UV8D. Small learning curve with programming, but the CHIRP software helps a lot. The stock antennas are less than desirable, upgrade.
2000 Xterra
post #18 of 20 Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 AM
hoshnasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bills View Post
I have a Baofeng 70cm/2m HT. Performance on the trail is good with a MFJ 1724 mag mount external antenna.
I've had good luck with the HT units.
 I'm curious though, how the quad band portables run? I'm curious though, how the quad band portables run?
post #19 of 20 Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM
hoshnasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggerman View Post
I have a Baofeng and the new Wouxun KG-UV8D. Small learning curve with programming, but the CHIRP software helps a lot. The stock antennas are less than desirable, upgrade.
Wow, that KG-UV8D is a cool looking HT.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-16-2017, 04:33 AM
spenser_snyder
Noob

2002 Xterra
spenser_snyder is on a distinguished road
KE8AFF here! I run an Yaesu FTM-400 XDM ( 2m & 70cm) and a Uniden 980 SSB CB Radio in my X. For the Yaesu rig, I ran the power leads and the coax thru the firewall via the clutch delete plate. Drilled holes in the little plate, placed some rubber ring grommets in the holes and then ran the power leads and the coax thru them. Antenna is a Comet SBB5 ( http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-001570) on a Comet 3D5M UHF Mount (http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-001408) on a Homebrew Aluminum Fender Bolt Bracket that I made from an aluminum strap purchased at Lowes then Plasti-Dipped it Black to match the X. As for the CB its " no to a high standard" per se.... Uniden 980 SSB Under the front passenger seat plugged into the cig plug on the rear of the center console and attached to a Wilson Little Will Antenna with the coax ran out the ( *insert cringe here*) back hatch. Also have a handheld Uniden 996T digital trunking scanner to keep tabs on the bears hi hi. I do have some plans to make some upgrades once the fund become available ( had to replace my auto lockers with WARNs). Would like to install a Mobile Scanner and antenna, and run everything off of a rig runner under the seat. My current setup works pretty good for me. My Dad is also a Ham and has essentially the same Ham Rig Setup. The We keep in touch pretty easily with the ham rigs as the CB range is pretty limited. It's also pretty sweet to be able to see exactly were he is using APRS and to talk thru an echolink node all of the way across the country... Now if you want to get into it even deeper, you could install an HF mobile rig but personally, Id rather keep that for a moment when im not driving. I started off listening to my dad shoot skip on the CB in my younger years that progressed to scanners and then one day i was looking for scanner freqs and saw an add for hamstudy.org. I looked into it, it caught my attention, and i was hooked. Studied up, took the Tech Exam, then Upgraded to the General Class, then this January I took my Extra Class exam and passed. Everyone is talking about having to pay to take the exam... if you look in the correct place, you can find license exams free. I know that here in Ohio, Delaware County offers free exam sessions ( that's where My Dad, my uncle, and I took ours and they are a top notch group of VE's I tell you). Its not hard, just study good, relax, and go take that test. Yes, CB's do have their place .... they are especially good for aoviding traffic pile ups by listening to the radio traffic from the truckers and other CB'ers on the highway.... when it comes to long distance, HAM is the way to go.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.