Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Water crossing rookie

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DiBo 
#1 ·
It just so happened that the other day i was wheeling in my favorite spot on the river. Ive crossed the river hundreds of times but this latest occasion went south. driving in, water immediately began pouring in from the door seals, all of them. I make it to the other side just as my ECU fries etc... What went wrong with the seals in my door? any way to prevent this?

#3 ·
^^ this.

But I have seen on some safari shows on tv there is some stuff that you can put on your door seals that repels water and creates a sort of barrier. Not sure what its called.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#5 · (Edited)
Trust me, I know!

You want to keep all your door seals clean and free of mud and dirt and maybe coat the seals with a layer of WD40 or a little grease. That will help slow the water flow but water is still gonna get in. no way to avoid it.

#6 ·
Xterra Mike is definitely the Club X resident water authority. I wasn't sure if he needed a locker or to install ballast tanks and a periscope. :laugh-big:

#10 ·
Non-petroleum based grease on the seals can help...if you make sure they are clean. Don't forget the firewall grommets, etc.

Grit, wee pebbles, weeds, etc, can create an opening for leaks.

If you keep moving, you are less likely to leak.

If your windows are closed, there is better pressure to keep the water out...open the windows, and the water comes in faster.

If your floor plugs are in, etc, you are less likely to leak.

If you go too slow, you leak, if you go too fast, you leak.

Pot the ECU, and it can get wet btw.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.