Nissan XTerra Forum banner

More comfortable with JDM engine or USDM engine?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bitumen Bullet 
#1 ·
I recently bought an excellent condition low mileage (97K miles) 2000 Xerra that has serious rod knock, so I am replacing the engine. I purchased this truck to fix it and then re-sell it. I've been evaluating both JDM engines and USDM engines as replacement options, but haven't been able to make a decision based on the typical pros/cons. I'm most concerned with my customer feeling comfortable about the health of the vehicle, after the engine is replaced.

Whereas I am experienced with rebuilding engines, I wouldn't expect a buyer to have the same confidence in my abilities. I feel like it's just the nature of human beings. I'm not qualified on paper; not a certified mechanic. I've just built motors for my race cars. :)

Having said that, I felt like the next best thing would be to install a low mileage USDM engine from a local source (private seller or wrecking yard). I ran into problems finding affordable engines with fewer miles than the truck has on it. I want to make sure the engine has fewer miles than the truck itself.

Even when I did find a couple engines that might work, they were not local to me and the sellers would NOT share the VIN number from the engine so I could confirm the mileage (not sure if this is an integrity issue, or they simply don't need to bother spending time with someone like me who needs them to verify the engine mileage).

I considered the JDM route, but became concerned with the issue of emissions and the JDM engines NOT having any EGR equipment. I don't want my customer to have trouble getting the vehicle to pass visual emission tests, or the smog test - in any state.

I've since learned that my 2000 Xterra doesn't have any EGR equipment anyway. For some reason (still researching), some 2000 and 2001 models were not equipped with EGR and I might be able to avoid issues with a JDM engine now.

JDM engines are typically supposed to have fewer miles, yet is still unverifiable.

If you were buying a new (used) Xterra that had an engine replaced, what type of engine replacement would make you the most comfortable in knowing the engine will last a very long time and run well?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Generally I avoid vehicles with any major work as it suggests something. Maybe a rough owner, or maybe an owner that didn't know how to care for a vehicle, or maybe it was a lemon and I'm always thinking what else is going to fail.

But older vehicles with newer engines can be a very good thing so I will buy those.

I would prefer an original factory replacement, with new parts bolted on. Put into a repainted engine bay makes the old feel new again, particularly if it is in a low mileage vehicle. Of course that engine would have been sitting in some warehouse for a long time for that to happen.

Next is a rebuilt or reman from a reputable shop but I have to know the shop so that is kinda rare.

I would prefer a USD engine and transmission and it doesn't have to be low mileage as I wouldn't believe it anyway. What I would like to see are compression numbers and lots of new parts like new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, new belts filters, new motor mounts and it's nice when hard to get at stuff like crank seals and oil pan gaskets are new as well. With some mileage on the new set up and a short warranty just in case.

Next would be a JDM but I would be looking much closer at the details to see what had to be done to get it to fit and work.

Last would be a home or local shop rebuild unless it was tens of thousands of miles in the past.

I have bought an older vehicle with an engine and transmission from a completely different vehicle. Still covered in dirt and oil, some wiring harnesses were connected with little more than a twist and tape. Everything that could leak was leaking, and the exhaust wasn't run all the way to the back so they put a 90 on the pipe so it would stick out the side. I liked it because it was honest, I had seen it driving around for a couple months and it ran great! And it was a great deal. Sure we couldn't get it started because one of the twist tape connections had corroded but troubleshooting is easy when you can just pull wires apart to check them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.