Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Throttle Position Sensor

18K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  XT2015 
#1 ·
Need some help here please. I have recently purchased a 2000 Xerra V6 Automatic. Trans had to be redone and that has been completed. When they were testing out the trans the code came up up for the TPS. Got the Xterra home and put a brand new TPS on the vehicle, cleared the code, took the vehicle out for a drive and the check engine light came back on. Back at the house checked the code again, and guess what, its giving me the same TPS code. Anyone have any idea why this is or what else I need to check or do?

#2 ·
Are you absolutely sure the connections are properly done? 2 months ago, a place rebuilt my son's 2000 Xterra transmission and didn't really connect the Crankshaft sensor good enough and the connector came loose and melted on the exhaust. Of course the SEL came on saying the crankshaft sensor was bad... but when I looked, it was a connection.
Anytime something quirky happens after working on the engine, go back and check connections...

What about the connections that are on the front of the valve covers. Take them off and reconnect and make sure the snap back in place.

As for the TPS, did you get a good brand? Check the connection on the TPS and also the wire goes to another connection on top of the passenger side Valve cover.
If they replaced the trans and there was never a TPS problem before you took it in, then something happened when they worked on it. Like pulled a wire, or connected it, but not good enough, etc...

#3 ·
When I replaced the TPS on my 2001 Pathfinder, there was a sequence of instructions I had to go through with the key in the ignition to tell the ECU to relearn the TPS. You may have to do something similar.

#5 ·
I know that I am at a loss on this one. I have checked everything I can think of, wiring, connections, etc. I clear the code and as soon as I start backing out of my driveway the Check Engine light comes on and it's the code for the TPS. Driving me Nuts....

#6 ·
Could be connection, could be calibration could be lots of things. Try searching this site for TPS replacement and go through the steps again, it's easy to miss a step or something along the way. I know cause I'm working on something right now because I thought I did something right but of course didn't and have to start all over.

#8 ·
OUSooner, Thank you for the link to the Video on youtube. I did that this weekend and I still have the same results. I went ahead and purchased a new Hitachi Throttle Position Sensor online and it should be here sometime this week. Not sure what else to do. The other TPS that is on there now is a BWD brand from O'Reilly Auto Parts. My other question is if there were electrical issues somewhere then I wouldn't be able to adjust with the meter correct, because I wouldn't be getting any readings?

#11 ·
I looked at my son's 2000 Xterra. There are 2 connectors that go to the TPS. Each connector has 3 wires and they don't have that alumninum wire. The wires are taped up, so it is possible that is shielded wire and just stops short of coming out.

Going back to connections... I noticed in your picture, the green part on the connector is not pushed in, are you sure when you put it on the TPS that it clicks?
I cannot get the connector off without pushing the green part in, and when the connector is off, the green part stays in. When I push the connector back on, the connector clicks and the green part snaps back out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.