Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Tires 01 xterra

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bitumen Bullet 
#1 ·
Hi guys/gals I was just wondering. I have a 01 xterra with 31 inch tall tires on it with stock rims. Would it require any more trimming to get a 32 to fit? An what about a 33? I'm going to need new tires soon an would like to get the biggest tire I can without having to use lift. Thanks

#4 ·
Taller tire is a good idea as the X is geared low and can handle a 32" and it can save fuel. So I'd suggest the Michelin Energy™ Saver A/S tires but instead of going with 265 width maybe consider a 225 for even better mileage.

Of course there are downsides whenever changing something from OEM and in this case that may include some Xterra owners not giving you a wave with any more than one finger.

But on the up side, better fuel economy and quieter.

They will also make you a better driver particularly as they wear out because on road they tend to break loose a little sooner than other tires which makes them a lot more noisy but will improve your reaction time. Every corner you take will have you wondering if the back end is going to step out. You will rename them Cato Fong tires because they keep you on your toes (or in the ditch). As they begin to bald you will look at wet, even damp roads, as endless miles of black ice but remember when hydroplaning you have no tire wear at all so it's good too!

Off road they are the by far the best educational tires. You will become a master at feathering power to the wheels to prevent them from spinning. With practice you will be able to start and stop on the little bit of damp grass leading to the trail. Once on the trail they will teach you about careful line selection and how to spot small patches of extra traction like that child toy left behind or dropped as the child runs from your out of control vehicle.

And you will learn self recovery methods because no one else is going to want to help you when you get stuck on the flat straight section, which is actually the gravel road leading to the trail. You will learn all sorts of tricks to get moving. Simply putting a harness on a small bird and leading it with bird feed will double the power you can apply to get moving again.

Man up, get a narrow set of Michelin Energy™ Saver A/S tires!

Or whimp out and go with BFG AT. I have as set of those and they are great, not nearly as educational or exciting but they get me to places others can only hope to reach without being winched half the way there. Which is good because when I get stuck with those a winch comes in handy and they are pretty good on the road as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.