Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Running out of old threads to read......HELP!!

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Mudpuppy 
#1 · (Edited)
02 Auto SE with security system

Finally got her home to work on and I had to jump the battery off to do so.
Now this morning she won't start with the jump box.......ok, my box is closer to ten years old than not.

Replaced the jump box and tried to jump it with my truck.....no dice.
I'm getting full power to the inside of the cab.

Radio and air kick on full blast (now that I've left a battery tender on it all day),
and I've tightened down the terminals. So bad connection is out. And dead battery is out.
When I'm on the outside of the car, security light stays solid and when unlocked, it goes out. However, when I put the keys in the ignition........nada.
I tried the trick where you lock/unlock doors and ignition. Nothing.
Fuses are all good.

When you turn the key, there is only a small click and just the one. Doesn't even sound like a relay......and certainly not a bad battery.

Only thing I haven't done is hit the starter with a hammer

Maybe it's being immobilized still?
If y'all have any ideas........let me know

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Pulled out the old battery and ran jumpers directlÿ to the cables.....nope.
Pulled the security relay......nope.
Replaced a battery terminal with one that isn't corroded......nope.
Hit the starter with a hammer......nope.

I haven't seen any signs of the starter crapping out on me before now.
Might just be as simple as that.

What am I missing?

#3 ·
The "hunt and peck" method of troubleshooting has limits. Those limits can be extended if aware of common failure modes but they cannot find complex unique problems.

When I run out of easy hunt and peck options I tend to fall back on more proper troubleshooting.

Record battery voltage, watch to see if voltage changes when a start is attempted. If it doesn't find a point at which you can measure voltage downstream from the starting switch........or go straight to the starter to see if it is getting voltage with start switch closed. Check connectors, connections along the way, find how far voltage signal gets after the start switch, jumper out the section that isn't working to confirm that is the problem section...then say to heck with it have a beer and leave jumper in place. I drove a car for a decade before getting back to fix a break in the wiring harness. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've given up on the hunt and peck. I really am starting to think that it is the starter even though I've seen no signs of it previously. After giving a more thorough investigation it appears that it's pretty well covered with oil and muck from the previous owner. I'm about to pull it, go buy a new voltmeter, and then try my hand at replacing it and see if he gets it accomplished.

I'm trying to avoid putting much money into this truck because I was supposed to just flip it. And I've done a starter before on a manual 4 by 4, and I'm certainly not looking forward to that either.

Good thing I've got a good supply of beer at the house!

Anyone had any luck rebuilding one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.