Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Flat towing an Xterra

18K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bklyn.X 
#1 ·
I have an '03 Xterra 4WD AT and the transfer case has a stick shift with a neutral position. The family motor coach assoc. guide says i can't flat tow it behind a motor home, I have towed several different SUV's in the past which had the stick shift transfer case, without any problems. I also would like to know what was to last year they put the stick shift transfer case in before they changed to the electric switch on it. Any help would be appreciated.

#12 ·
The issue is that some transmissions are lubricated by the input shaft while others are lubricated by the output shaft. A Jeep, for instance, is lubricated by the output shaft, so when towing the transmission gets lubricated. If the RV folks and owner's manual say it is not flat towable, that means it is lubricated by the input shaft, so only when the engine is running. So regardless of whether you have a N on your transfer case shifter, always check your owner's manual under Towing. If it says no and you do it anyway, you basically kill any power train warranty and it will cause damage to the transmission.

That said, a lot of people tow cars that say "No flat towing," just fine for short distances or slowly (not 70MPH). I've seen people towing a Mustang with no modifications and it seems to work fine. The problem is the damage might not show up for 20-40,000 miles, but you won't know until your trans starts to die. Try it at your own risk.

#13 · (Edited)
I know this is an old thread but do not flat tow your 1st gen without removing the rear driveshaft and plugging the TC.

4 bolts and carefully slide out.

Plug the TC with one of these:

(click image for amazon link) and you're good to go.

Reactions: Xtre
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.