Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Diesel Swap on a 00 X

18K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Steeze 
#1 ·
I have a friend that's heading to Japan in a month and he is heavily involved in japanese auto tuning. He knows a lot of people in Japan that have access to lots of engine and performance parts. Thinking ahead with 150K on the clock Im thinking of doing the diesel swap on my X.

I need to know the necessary parts for swap and what diesel engines would work with a 00 X.

Everything needs to be ordered from Japan which includes all the diesel lines, pump, ecu, engine, possibly tranny etc.

Im very aware of how to import these parts as I have that taken care of that. I just need a basic list of what I will need.

Maybe the ZD30 they put in the patrol...

The ZD30 is a 3.0-litre turbo diesel that wields a heftier torque figure than any other engine available in the Patrol range, including the 4.5-litre petrol engine.

Does anyone know if this would be an option for the X?

I can avoid premium prices and get a sweet deal on shipping so I'de like to figure this out... Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
i have look at this alot and it seems that there is alot of info about this on xterrafirma.com there has been alot of people talk about it but i have never heard of anyone doing it. i hope you get the answers cause i would like to see this

#5 ·
It's a whole lot to swap. It's definitly not a drop in by any means.

I mean all the electronics will have to be swapped out, huge nightmare.

The fuel tank and filler will have to be changed.

I'd assume the transmission / transfer case won't bolt up.

Engine mounts will have to be fabbed.

Cooling systems will need to be changed.

Basicly you would have to start from scratch and remove everything V6 gasser from the vehicle.

It's my opinon, but if your going to that great on lengths to swap a engine. Why not go Chevy small block v8 or even a Nissan v8 engine.

I mean the diesel engine is great and all (I'm diesel mechanic). But, if your going to swap why swap to a heavy engine with no real performance or US parts support?

#6 ·
thats a very good point

ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1 ls1

#11 ·
i have to agree the diesel is a very heavy motor... i would love to see a 1st gen X with a titan/armada V8 in it.... i know there is a 2nd gen already but i haven't heard of the 1st.... the only upside to the diesel would be the fuel mileage and the longevity of the motor itself... the diesel's last alot longer than the gas...

#14 ·
I also want the ability to run bio-diesel... I have a family friend that did the diesel conversion on a toy 4runner he makes his fuel in his back yard.

I also want it because I feel the diesel is more durable for an expedition vehicle, which is where im going with my X.

I also read about the ZD30 having premature break down so I maybe thinking about a different engine... like I said im open for suggestions

#17 · (Edited)
I've heard great things about Izuzu's back in school. Parts support is far better.
http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/index.html

But, like I said before it will be a huge huge undertaking. Rip and destroy everything attached to the V6 gasser, retune the suspension for the additional weight, none of the factory gauges will work ect. The Vg33 is super reliable as it is.

If your really serious about it the best way would be to bring a complete vehicle into the US to swap over. There is just so many parts that would have to be changed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.